Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: conical as HLT?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline 4himarks

• 1st Kit
conical as HLT?
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:17 am »
Can anyone think of a reason NOT to use my 12.5 gal SS conical as a hot liquor tank? It would be empty by the time I started boiling so would have at least an hour to cool back down to room temp before introducing the cooled wort. It is on a stand, so I could sparge by gravity, and I have a heat stick, so I'm not talking about exposing it to open flame.

I have a 5 gal double walled SS coffee urn I use for some sparge water but it is not enough for 10 gallon batches, so I have to heat up more in my boil pot and transfer it. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: conical as HLT?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:14:44 am »
Other than poor insulation, I think it's an ok idea. Might want to play with the temps a bit to make sure you get where you want after the cold stainless sucks some of the heat out.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:02:45 am »
Good idea. If you get it hot enough it will be sanitized too.

Offline 4himarks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:52:59 am »
That had also occurred to me. I generally heat my water to near boiling before mashing in, and adjust it downward, if necessary, by adding cold to reach mash temp.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:47:47 am »

I would still follow up with starsan personally.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:30:01 pm »
With some small fiddling one could probably brew and ferment in a conical. BIAB with HERMS or RIMS. Dump the trub after chilling.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 01:35:57 pm »

Why? At the temp of the HLT there's not going to be anything in there.  Seems like more hassle w/the foam to me, let alone the cost.
Now if your going to make up 5 gal of starsan anyway for your utensils, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to double use it, but I wouldn't just for an already sanitized container.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 02:03:48 pm »

Why? At the temp of the HLT there's not going to be anything in there.  Seems like more hassle w/the foam to me, let alone the cost.
Now if your going to make up 5 gal of starsan anyway for your utensils, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to double use it, but I wouldn't just for an already sanitized container.
I make my starsan with RO and save it for months. I replace it when it gets dirty or the volume becomes too low to be useful. I'd put my cost at about $6 a year for the water and concentrate. Also a spray bottle set to mist/foam would work as well without needing to fill the fermenter.

Don't fear the foam. It's 100% fine for it to be in the beer.

Depending on the volume, the hot liquor may not touch all parts of the fermenter long enough to sanitize.

Offline 4himarks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 02:14:50 pm »
Depending on the volume, the hot liquor may not touch all parts of the fermenter long enough to sanitize.
The volume will be pretty full, but SS is a pretty good conductor of heat, so I expect that keeping boiling or near boiling water in it for several hours would heat the whole thing to sanitizing temperatures. I also clean everything with PBW and rinse clean immediately after I empty it, so there should not be anything able to grow in the first place.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 02:59:31 pm »
To me, the extra few minutes to sanitize with a chemical sanitizer, which can be done during the boil or chilling, is well worth any perceived hassle.

Try it without the sanitizer, pull off a sample after filling the fermenter (before pitching yeast), and perform a wort stability test. You could also set aside a bottle for longterm stability testing.