Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: classification for beer comp  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
classification for beer comp
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:43:17 am »
I brewed two beers; a witbier that is dry hopped with citra and has habanero and pineapple in it and an American Blonde with lime zest and lemongrass.

Should these be classified as fruit beer, spice/herb/vegetable, or specialty?

Can I get away with just entering both in the specialty category? Oh wait I can probably only have one entry per category...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:52:52 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: classification for beer comp
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 02:58:27 pm »
So I am thinking that the wit needs to go in the S/H/V category since the pineapple and the dry hops are not very noticeable so the habanero basically makes it a pepper beer.

The lime/lemongrass should then go in specialty since I didn't use any of the actual fruit?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 03:21:04 pm »
I would think that if the lime and lemongrass are not strong you could just enter it as a blonde.

But I don't compete much.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:33:59 pm »
I would think that if the lime and lemongrass are not strong you could just enter it as a blonde.

But I don't compete much.

I had not considered that. This particular beer will be kegged in the next couple of days so I will have to make a judgement call on the strength of the lime/lemograss and consider some aging time as a mellowing factor... I may just go with specialty to be safe since I also have an american wheat that I might enter and would end up in the light hybrid category.

"Some versions may have honey, spices and/or fruit added, although if any of these ingredients are stronger than a background flavor they should be entered in specialty, spiced or fruit beer categories instead."

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:05:29 pm »
If the lime zest and lemon grass is not predominant it might be passed off as the hops so I'd enter that in the blonde category, the other I'd enter in the SFH category. The American wheat you can enter as an American wheat:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:32:34 pm »
If the lime zest and lemon grass is not predominant it might be passed off as the hops so I'd enter that in the blonde category, the other I'd enter in the SFH category. The American wheat you can enter as an American wheat:)

I agree
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:08:39 pm »
I would enter them both in specialty.  Though I would only do so if you say those ingredients are in there and you can smell/taste them.  Be descriptive of the beer.  If it's a subtle pineapple... say subtle pineapple.  It shouldn't matter but it does.  It lets the judges that think, if it has an ingredient listed it needs to be over the top, know that you're going to subtle.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:35:38 pm »
The witbier based beer goes in Belgian Specialty (16E):

Note Witbier is 16A:

(16E)
Comments: This is a catch-all category for any Belgian-style beer not fitting any other Belgian style category. The category can be used for clones of specific beers (e.g., Orval, La Chouffe); to produce a beer fitting a broader style that doesn’t have its own category; or to create an artisanal or experimental beer of the brewer’s own choosing (e.g., strong Belgian golden ale with spices, something unique). Creativity is the only limit in brewing but the entrants must identify what is special about their entry. This category may be used as an “incubator” for recognized styles for which there is not yet a formal BJCP category. Some styles falling into this classification include:
•Blond Trappist table beer
•Artisanal Blond
•Artisanal Amber
•Artisanal Brown
•Belgian-style Barleywines
•Trappist Quadrupels
•Belgian Spiced Christmas Beers
•Belgian Stout
•Belgian IPA
•Strong and/or Dark Saison
•Fruit-based Flanders Red/Brown

I'd enter the Lime-zest/lemongrass Blonde Ale in Specialty (23A), as it has both fruit based and spice/herb based components.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 06:53:05 am »
I'd put spicy pineapple wit in Fruit and Spice, 29B and the other in SHV, 30A with the usual caveat about balance between "specialty" ingredients and the base beer.

2008 guidelines?  pepper/pineapple wit in 16E, and the other in SHV 21A.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 07:14:22 am »
Well I am a bit confused now. I think I can only have one entry per category so entering both in 23 is not an option. It appears that they are using 2008 guidelines however are grouping most subcategories together; 16A-E will be one category.

After clicking around, it appears that this may not be BJCP sanctioned this year although they are using the guidelines. I will have to investigate.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 07:36:57 am »
Okay it is apparently BJCP sanctioned. I thought it was strange that you have to include your own 3x5 card with the beer name and ingredients...

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 07:47:23 am »
Well I am a bit confused now. I think I can only have one entry per category so entering both in 23 is not an option. It appears that they are using 2008 guidelines however are grouping most subcategories together; 16A-E will be one category.

After clicking around, it appears that this may not be BJCP sanctioned this year although they are using the guidelines. I will have to investigate.

basically you try to find a home for something elsewhere until 23 is the only option.  One beer has nothing but spices and herbs.  Both are flavoring the blonde base, not providing any sugar like a fruit.  So, 21A

Treat Belgians like any other style - find a home for them elsewhere, and then if nothing fits, treat 16E as the Belgian version of 23.

Robust Porter with raspberry = 20A.  Robust Porter with jalapeno = 21A.  Robust Porter with both = 23.
Witbier with pineapple = 20A.  Witbier with habanero = 21A.  Witbier with both = 16E.

if the base beer was already a Belgian specialty, then adding fruit/spices/both to it and it is still a 16E.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 07:53:16 am »
That is very helpful. Thanks for your help. I mis-classified an entry for my last competition which hurt the score.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 08:00:49 am »
That is very helpful. Thanks for your help. I mis-classified an entry for my last competition which hurt the score.

it happens all the time; don't feel bad.  There were a half dozen beers in the NHC finals in Cat 23 that could have gone in 21A.  Good judges will still judge them (A peanut butter and chocolate stout almost won the bronze medal), but if there's an obvious better place for it (based on taste, not ingredient list) then they should mention it.

efforts have been made to reduce confusion and find homes for things in the new guidelines.  I've seen some bemoaning the scope of the changes and size of the guidelines; well things like this are one reason why they are that way.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 08:50:41 am »
Okay well I just locked in 4 entries; light lager, light hybrid, french and belgian, & SHV.

At only $3 an entry I figure why not? Now, I just need to get better at bottling from the keg...