Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 20% Rye Pale Ale not clearing  (Read 1662 times)

Offline SimpleMountain

• 1st Kit
20% Rye Pale Ale not clearing
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:23:59 am »
I have a Pale Ale that's been 9 days in primary. I had a good and uneventful brewday and pitched Nottingham Yeast (my goto) on 6/21. It is still kinda milky/cloudy looking with a thin Kroussen on the surface. I smelled it last night and it smells fine.  This is my first time using rye in a batch. I have Maris Otter (70%),  smoke(5%), Crystal 60(5%), and rye (20%). Is it normal for rye beers to be this way? Usually my beers are clear-ish and ready to rack by now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Re: 20% Rye Pale Ale not clearing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:48:24 am »
I doubt it's the rye malt, I have had haze issues with some varieties of MO, nothing a little gelatin couldn't fix.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:06:35 am »
9 days is way too early to be concerned about beer appearance/clarity at this stage of fermentation.  Let your beer sit for at least 2 wks total prior to packaging.  During that second week after fermentation has died down, the yeast will still continue to clean up after themselves (conditioning), improving the beer, as well as allowing the yeast to drop out of suspension resulting in a clearer final product.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:07:47 am »
9 days is way too early to be concerned about beer appearance/clarity at this stage of fermentation.  Let your beer sit for at least 2 wks total prior to packaging.  During that second week after fermentation has died down, the yeast will still continue to clean up after themselves (conditioning), improving the beer, as well as allowing the yeast to drop out of suspension resulting in a clearer final product.

+1
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:58:45 am »

+1

+2
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SimpleMountain

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:42 pm »
Thanks, all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk