Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dryhopping at the end of primary fermentation  (Read 8259 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: dryhopping at the end of primary fermentation
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 06:30:56 pm »
If your homebrew shop repackages their hops into 1 oz baggies, you're pretty much at their mercy as far as oxygen pickup.

+1
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 08:48:26 am »
I have experienced less than ideal results by dry hopping when the beer is still on the yeast, though.  I noticed high levels of geraniol, a rose like quality.  I started xferring the beer before dry hopping and haven't noticed it since.

Mike Tonsmeire in a recent article in BYO seems to claim the opposite: he says that yeast can convert geraniol  provided by hop (e.g. citra) into citrusy beta-citronellol.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 08:55:26 am »
Any suggestions on how to minimize oxidation while dry-hopping if one doesn't have a keg and ferments in a bottle? Apart from not splashing like crazy, that is.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 11:33:04 am »
I have experienced less than ideal results by dry hopping when the beer is still on the yeast, though.  I noticed high levels of geraniol, a rose like quality.  I started xferring the beer before dry hopping and haven't noticed it since.
Mike Tonsmeire in a recent article in BYO seems to claim the opposite: he says that yeast can convert geraniol  provided by hop (e.g. citra) into citrusy beta-citronellol.
Based on some of the published research out there the biotransformations are far from a 1-way street. Yeast can convert many hop oils from one to another. The end results will depend on a bunch of factors, so I would personally attach little faith in any sweeping generalizations without experimental evidence. You just can't isolate one reaction and make reliable predictions based solely on that.

In addition, most of the major hop oils have drastically different effects depending on how much is present and what other oils are there as well. I have recently acquired some citronellol, geraniol, linalool and alpha- & beta-pinene to do some experimentation, and none of them smell much like hops or dry-hopped beer at all. The flavor and aroma chemistry is just way too complex.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer