Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Braggot: Maturing  (Read 1094 times)

Offline leowaiau

• 1st Kit
Braggot: Maturing
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:57:19 am »
I am planning on brewing a big Braggot to be ready for the holiday season and I was wondering if I should let it mature in the fermentor and then bottle around October/ November or if I should bottle sooner and let it mature in the bottle for a few months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Braggot: Maturing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:52:37 pm »
I am planning on brewing a big Braggot to be ready for the holiday season and I was wondering if I should let it mature in the fermentor and then bottle around October/ November or if I should bottle sooner and let it mature in the bottle for a few months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I made a wheat braggot a few years ago and bottled it after three weeks like an ale and left it alone for 6 or 7 months before trying it. It took close to a year to start getting really good. It was 9%, a weaker one would be good quicker.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:32:40 pm »
I prefer bulk aging myself. I have enjoyed some braggots with little age on them, and others with a lot. It seems like a style with such a wide range of possibilities that it is hard say. I brewed a braggot last year in the spring to be ready for winter, and it is just now coming around to deliciousness. That particular honey, meadowfoam, took a while to come together with the malt.
Kyle M.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 03:29:13 pm »
I prefer bulk aging myself. I have enjoyed some braggots with little age on them, and others with a lot. It seems like a style with such a wide range of possibilities that it is hard say. I brewed a braggot last year in the spring to be ready for winter, and it is just now coming around to deliciousness. That particular honey, meadowfoam, took a while to come together with the malt.

That's the best honey; wish it were more widely available.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women