Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie could use some help- underpitching of yeast & other questions  (Read 1701 times)

Offline winin1

• 1st Kit
Hi- Just brewed my first beer yesterday- Altbier using WLP036 yeast- no starter, it's been approx 14 hours since I pitched the yeast and that was at 66 degrees, the beer has been right around 68 degrees since then.  After pitching, I found the yeast calculator and it looks like I should use 1.8 vials of yeast for my starting gravity (1.051) and I only used one.
I have a few questions:
 1. After reading up on underpitching, I'm wondering if I should get another vial and pitch it also?
 2. If so, is there a particular method to use for this, or just open the bucket, add yeast, stir? 
 3. I don't know if I have any activity yet, I don't hear any bubbling, but am using a blow off tube, rather than just the airlock, so am also wondering how I tell- do I just wait, or do folks routinely take the lid off and look?
 4. Last- I also realized  (after more reading) that I have a lot of trub left in my beer, I see that this can both help and hurt my beer, I'm trying to keep it cool to offset any nasty taste, but is there anything I can do now aside from this to minimize eventual bad taste?

Thanks very much in advance, I need the help,
Donna

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
1. After reading up on underpitching, I'm wondering if I should get another vial and pitch it also?

For pitching a vial without a starter, a 14+ hour is to be expected.  While you certainly could pitch another vial, I'd probably just let it go as it is and exercise patience.

2. If so, is there a particular method to use for this, or just open the bucket, add yeast, stir? 

Yep, that' pretty much it.  I'd recommend careful stirring so as to not introduce too much O2 into the beer.

3. I don't know if I have any activity yet, I don't hear any bubbling, but am using a blow off tube, rather than just the airlock, so am also wondering how I tell- do I just wait, or do folks routinely take the lid off and look?

I take the lid off and look, but I wouldn't worry about it at this point.  You may not be seeing any bubbling because the lid isn't on completely tight.  Not a big deal.

4. Last- I also realized  (after more reading) that I have a lot of trub left in my beer, I see that this can both help and hurt my beer, I'm trying to keep it cool to offset any nasty taste, but is there anything I can do now aside from this to minimize eventual bad taste?

Another thing to just not worry about right now.  I admire your attitude and desire to get all this stuff right, but trub just isn't that big a deal, especially for a beginning brewer.  My advice would be to sit tight, give it 24 hours, then carefully take a peek under the lid.  My guess is that you'll see fermentation at that point.  Keep working on it for future brews, but remember the homebrewer's mantra...Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!  Or a good craft beer since this is your first batch!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline winin1

• 1st Kit
Thanks so much for the response and info!  It started bubbling a few hours after I first posted, I could tell due to the bubbles it made at the end of the blowoff tube in to the sanitizer bucket, it's been going quite steady since.  I'm going to keep it cool for the primary, to try to aleviate any underpitch problems.  So, will there truly not be too many real issues due to underpitching, or just ones that I won't be able to tell the difference with?  Next time, I'll use a starter.  I've seen the frustration folks on this site have with home brew shops not communicating pitch rate, wonder why they don't sell you two vials of yeast with a kit at a minimum?

Thanks again,
Donna