Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Surly Wort Give Away, Help on my First Lacto  (Read 3009 times)

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Surly Wort Give Away, Help on my First Lacto
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:47:55 am »
So I signed up for the Surly Wort give away at the AHA rally for July 2015. I think I may be in over my head with this one. I’ve never made any kind of sour before as the wife and I are not huge “sour” fans. I was hoping to get a little help here to determine how to proceed. I have absolutely no idea/experience with the process for this type of fermentation.

We both signed up for the giveaway so I’ll end up with (2) five gallon batches of wort, specifics below. I’d prefer to keep the process as simple as possible and the sourness at the low end.

I’d like some yeast recommendations as well as fermentation process recommendations, times, temps etc.

I’d like to know if bringing this type of wort into my brew house will cause any issues with my “regular” non-sour fermentation and equipment.

Should I dedicate the two fermenters to only sour beers after using them for this or can I still use for non-sours?

•   Pale Lacto-kettle soured wort
•   Brewed with Simpsons Golden Promise & aromatic malts
•   Minimal bitterness
•   Boiled & oxygenated for your experimental homebrew pleasure
•   Target OG: 13° P (~1.053 OG)
•   pH: 3.2
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Surly Wort Give Away, Help on my First Lacto
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:25:27 pm »
If the beer was soured in the kettle and THEN boiled you will have no issues bringing these fermenters (and using them again) into your brewhouse.  The reason being that the boil will have killed off any potential souring microorganisms prior to being racked to your fermenter.  You will however need to pitch some sort of yeast (either brett or sacch) to finish off the fermentation process at home. 

If you desire a minimal amount of sourness (and at pH of 3.2 it probably is already pretty darn sour), then I would recommend pitching some sort of neutral ale yeast that can handle a low pH (i.e. WY 1007, or even US-O5).  You can then go about treating this brew as a normal fermentation. 

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:33:12 pm »
If the beer was soured in the kettle and THEN boiled you will have no issues bringing these fermenters (and using them again) into your brewhouse.  The reason being that the boil will have killed off any potential souring microorganisms prior to being racked to your fermenter.  You will however need to pitch some sort of yeast (either brett or sacch) to finish off the fermentation process at home. 

If you desire a minimal amount of sourness (and at pH of 3.2 it probably is already pretty darn sour), then I would recommend pitching some sort of neutral ale yeast that can handle a low pH (i.e. WY 1007, or even US-O5).  You can then go about treating this brew as a normal fermentation.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to see if I can find out if the wort was soured pre or post boil. If it was post boil would I be safe just keeping the fermenters segregated to another room in the house? As far as the yeast is concerned does the low pH have any impact on how much yeast to pitch or can I treat it as a "normal" wort and pitch just based on O.G.?
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:39:31 pm »
If they are providing you with a pH of the wort, then most likely it was soured pre-boil.  If that is the case then simply pitch at a rate according to the OG.

If it was soured post-boil (which I highly doubt), then your fermenters do not need to be segregated from your "normal" fermenters providing they are glass and not plastic.  Glass carboys can easily be cleaned with hot water and PBW soak, followed by several hot water rinses and finally a starsan treatment for sanitation prior to filling with fresh new wort. 
Most importantly though, any plastic or rubber equipment pieces that come in contact with the post-boiled soured wort/beer should be kept separate.  Things like auto-siphon parts, transfer hoses, airlock, stoppers, wine theif, etc. so they are not contaminating other normal beers. 

But as stated earlier, I would bet that the wort was soured pre-boil and you will have no problems treating this as a normal brew.  If pitching yeast be sure to aerate the wort to ensure a healthy fermentation for your yeast. 

Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide to do.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:42:52 pm »
I'd assume are boil sour since it states boiled for your pleasure:) sounds like a good base for a Gose or Berliner type beer
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:16:47 am »
I am signed up to volunteer for this event.

I'm thinking about using either a Belgian or Brett strain. Maybe  WLP644? What do you guys think?
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:01:52 pm »
I think the WL 644 Brett trois (that is not reportedly a brett strain anymore, but rather a wild sacch. strain instead) would perform very well in this beer especially paired with the early lacto addition.

Offline FTWBrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 08:21:29 pm »
I am going to be in the 4:00 group myself, in also trying to figure out what I am going to do with it.  Might split it into two 2.5 Gal batches and try something different with each.

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 09:25:03 pm »
We're in the 6:00 group. Still formulating my plans but kinda thinking of one batch keep it simple, US-05. For the second batch maybe a Hef strain or something like that and maybe some fruit after primary fermentation is complete.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline FTWBrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 09:30:40 pm »
Yeah, I have been really racking my brain on this one, normally not a sour kind of guy, so trying to formulate a plan in two weeks is going to be interesting.

Think I can figure out a decent Berliner Weisse from this, the fruit sounds intriguing but not sure how much or when.

All of my brews are American style ale, Scottish ale or British ale variations.  So this will be new for me for sure.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 01:53:32 pm »
I would toss a good size starter of WL 644 strain into 5 gallons for a tropical fruit nose with acidity from the kettle souring and WY 1007 into the other for a classic berliner weisse.  Both would be great for summer schwilling!

Offline paulbigwood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 02:12:32 pm »
I'm in the 5:00 group. I figure it will be a good time to try my first Gose. The plan is to add 3/4 oz sea salt and 3/4oz coriander, then I'm going to pitch with US-05. I love sour beer, but have never brewed one, so this should be an easy introduction to the style!

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 07:29:17 am »
Any news on how this beer is fermenting? I haven't done anything with mine since I pitched the WLP644. I'm getting a bit anxious for this one.

J
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 07:44:20 am »
Any news on how this beer is fermenting? I haven't done anything with mine since I pitched the WLP644. I'm getting a bit anxious for this one.

J

I checked both of my batches yesterday. The one with US-05 checked 1.014 to 1.015, the batch I did with Wyeast 3711 checked 1.008. I added a 3# can of Apricot Puree to the US-05, going to let them ride for at least another week.

US-05 batch had a sharper-tarter taste to it. Some grapefruit and lemon flavors coming out.

The 3711 was much smoother, less tart and less citrus flavors. Mellower mouth feel than the US-05.

Not being a huge sour fan as of yet, I enjoyed the 3711 more so than the US-05.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline Chino Brews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 09:33:28 am »
So it is three months later.

I ended up getting six gallons of sour wort in a 6-5-gallon Big Mouth Bubbler. I pitched a "vitality starter" of WLP670 (American Farmhouse) as well as a fresh tube of it. American Farmhouse is Tomme Arthur's Brett melange from Pizza Port plus an unnamed saison strain, which a White Labs rep all but told me is WLP590 (French Saison).

I planned to rack it after a month or so of primary fermentation to a 5-gallon ported Better Bottle to minimize the headspace and allow me to sample off the port, but laziness intervened and the beer developed a pellicle about two months in. Anyway, it's staying in the primary vessel and going.

Any thoughts on when and how to sample it?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:40:35 am by Chino Brews »
If how I brew makes you mad or somehow ruins home brewing for you, maybe you need a less stressful hobby than making and drinking beer! :D