Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Malt Brands  (Read 12258 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Best Malt Brands
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 06:36:06 am »
I buy Best Malz for Pils, Wheat, Vienna and Munich I and II. Thomas Fawcett for English varieties, specifically Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Rye Malt and crystal caramel malts and roasted varieties like Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley. For American styles I like Briess Pale Ale malt, they also make nice crytsal/caramel malts.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 07:43:03 am »
I'm stubbornly organic so I use weyermann for continental styles, either Great Western or Gambrinus for American styles, and I just suck it up on british styles because there is usually one or no options of MO.

Lately I've been focusing on locally grown/malted barley whenever possible. Jury is still out on Petersons Quality Malt out of Monkton VT but it's pretty good. perhaps a bit neutral.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 08:09:27 am »
I like Best Malz for Pils, Vienna and Munich I and II. I like Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter, and love Golden Promise. For American styles I like Rahr as my base 2 Row.  I would like to try some Great Western and Cargill.  I can't get any near me.  I've not had good luck with Briess, but all the breweries around me use it.  I just finished two sacks of Weyermann Bohemian Pils malt.  We will see when the beers finish what I think.  I picked up a sack of Rahr Premium Pils.  Hope it is as nice as their 2 Row.   

Jeff B

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 08:11:45 am »
Right now in my bins I have Weyermann dark Munich, Best pilsner, Great Western 2-row and Crisp Maris Otter.  I've also used Franco Belges pilsner a lot when making Belgian beers, great malt.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 09:18:49 am »

Remember, this is objective....

domestic pale malt - Rahr 2 row pale
domestic Munich malt - Great Western
domestic rye malt - Briess
continental pils and Munich - Best Malz
Objective or subjective?

DOH!  Subjective!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 10:19:16 am »
Base Malt

British:  Thomas Fawcett Pearl
Continental:  Avangard Pils (very close to Durst, but my LHBS does not stock Durst)
American 2-Row: Anything but Briess (I currently use Rahr, but used to use Schreier before the Cargill takeover)

Crystal/Caramel

I do not use much in the way of caramelized malt, but when I do, here's what I use:

CaraPils:  Briess
Caramel 8:  Avangard  (this stuff is fantastic in blonde/golden ale and pale lagers)
Caramel 60: MFB

Specialty Malts:

Dark Munich:  Avangard
Pale Chocolate: Thomas Fawcett
Roasted Barley: Thomas Fawcett
Rye Malt:  Thomas Fawcett
Wheat Malt: Briess (but there has to be something better)

Unmalted Grains:

Flaked Maize:  Briess
Torrified Wheat: Briess (would prefer UK)
Roasted Barley: Thomas Fawcett

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 01:45:46 pm »
Best for Pils, Vienna or Munich
Fawcett or Crisp for Maris Otter or Golden Promise
Rahr domestic 2 Row
For my Cream Ale, CAP or any recipe that calls for a corn adjunct, I go with Nora Mill "Georgia Ice Cream" grits and a cereal mash. Worth the effort, IMO.  I will never go back to flaked maize again. http://shop.noramill.com/White-Grits-5-lb-cloth-bag-WG-5.htm

"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 01:58:42 pm »
Euro base -  - Dingemanns pils and pale, Best or Avangard, Crisp MO (style dependent)
US 2 row - Rahr preferably, Briess in  a pinch
Munich - Best I and II, Avangard in a pinch
Wheat - Avangard or Briess
Roasted - Muntons chocolate and roasted barley, Crisp pale chocolate
Crystal - Simpson, Briess

Jon H.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 08:29:41 am »
I'm liking my Best Pils malt for all my Lagers along with their Dark Munich and Red X.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 10:38:07 am »
The LHBS carries Malteurop 2 row. This is a NA 2-row that is made in the old ADM maltings that Malteurop purchased. Can't beat the price, those that have used it like it. I have a bag to use.

http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Row-Malteurop-50-lbs-_p_4850.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 11:28:09 am »
I've had good results with Castle (Belgian Pils).  I also like Simpsons for crystal malts.
The sack of this I bought was full of chaff.  I felt the need to winnow it before using.  I took a box fan and poured the grain through the breeze.  It didn't seem right to buy so much imported material that ended up straight in the compost.  Perhaps I got the bottom of the grain elevator, but I've been afraid to buy another.

(my beer was fine)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 12:57:16 pm »
Slowly making my way through all the posts and topics I missed while on our RV trip earlier this month. So I know this is late but here is my .02:

My bins are stocked right now with:
    Crisp MO: 1st sack, no previous exp with MO, but have loved the 2 brews I used it in
    Weyerman Munich I&II: I like what they bring compared to the domestic (likely Briess that I used before buying these)
    Avangard Pilsner: just picked up my second sack, been very happy with it
    Rahr 2 row: also just picked up 2nd sack of this. Have not been able to pick out differences between this and Briess(my first sack of 2 row)

I am still new enough to just be playing around with whatever style interests me and have not duplicated many recipes, so again, this is just what I have on hand after hearing so many suggestions here over the last 2 years
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Derek

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 03:12:15 pm »
My local stores carry Briess, Dingeman and Weyermann so that pretty much all I use.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 08:07:14 am »
I'm all about Best Malz - Heidelberg, Pilsner, Munich, Vienna, and Wheat. For 2-row, Rahr is fantastic malt. I have a sack of Great Western 2-row that I've yet to use.
Jesse

Offline stevecrawshaw

• Cellarman
    • My Recipes
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 02:39:26 pm »
Warminster Maris Otter Pale. The maltings is about 40 miles from me and the malt is still turned by hand. You can't beat it for English ales. Our club buys in bulk through a local brewer. They also do munich, lager and roasted malts but not pilsner.

http://www.warminster-malt.co.uk/video-gallery/

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.