Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5 month dryhop Denny's RPA  (Read 1580 times)

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
5 month dryhop Denny's RPA
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »
I've been quite busy lately (started new business) and left two 5-gal cornies dryhopping for over 5 months.  The recipe was Denny's Rye IPA and it was dryhopped w/ Columbus pellets.  The beer was out in my partially insulated, unheated shop and subjected to local temperature swings.  I just kegged it yesterday and, amazingly enough, it tastes fine.  Of course, it's also very clear and that beautiful golden amber color.  I'll be seriously sampling this beer with friends over the Memorial Day weekend and I'll report back the final result.  I was surprised to find this beer even drinkable, much less tasting as good as it seems.

This has me wondering about all the posts I've read warning of grassy, or vegetal, off flavors after prolonged dryhopping.  Maybe it's the pellets (I mostly use whole leaf, but rarely find Columbus whole), or the Columbus or a combination of both.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 5 month dryhop Denny's RPA
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:53 am »
This has me wondering about all the posts I've read warning of grassy, or vegetal, off flavors after prolonged dryhopping.

Congratulations on discovering this myth for yourself.  I've found the same thing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: 5 month dryhop Denny's RPA
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:36:08 pm »
This has me wondering about all the posts I've read warning of grassy, or vegetal, off flavors after prolonged dryhopping.

Congratulations on discovering this myth for yourself.  I've found the same thing.

It really depends on the hops used.  In my experience C hops, for instance, never get grassy, but nobles on the other hand, depending on their origin I surmise, do.  EKGs I have found don't,  US Goldings and US Hallertaus are horrible,  German Hallertaus seem to be OK.  Tetts seem to be OK regardless of orign.  I have found that if the flowers have a "green" aroma, they will probably be grassy as a dry hop.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim