Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dryhopping at the end of primary fermentation  (Read 8245 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
dryhopping at the end of primary fermentation
« on: July 02, 2015, 08:32:45 am »
Some brewers add their dry hops somewhere during (presumably at the end of) primary fermentation, the reasoning being that the still active yeast will consume the oxygen that is introduced with the hops.

Does this really make a difference? If so, what trigger should I use to add the hops?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: dryhopping at the end of primary fermentation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:34:51 am »
I thought the main reason is that as yeast falls out of suspension, it will strip out hop aroma. I personally dry hop after FG has been reach and most of the yeast has settled (or in the keg) but have no experience doing it any other way.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

rabeb25

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:36:36 am »
Ferment, crash cool to drop yeast. Raise back up to 68, dryhop.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:41:36 am »

+1.  Same thing I do.
Jon H.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:45:37 am »
On the last IPA that I did, I waited until fermentation was done.  I then added a very small amount of simple sugar with my dry hops, the thinking being that the active fermentation would help prevent oxidation. 

This was certainly no side by side comparison, ala Brulosophy, but this did happen to be the very best beer I've ever brewed.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:47:06 am »

Why yes, but that does not answer my question.  :P
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

rabeb25

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:03:52 am »
Ok then, Yeast only consumes oxygen in the initial phase of growth ( I am sure Mark will correct my laymans terms). So there for that would not be the case.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:05:58 am by rabeb25 »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 09:14:53 am »
Ok then, Yeast only consumes oxygen in the initial phase of growth ( I am sure Mark will correct my laymans terms). So there for that would not be the case.

Actually, yeast cells consume O2 whenever it is available, which is why the "Don't rack to secondary because it will oxidize your beer" mantra is yet another home brewer created myth.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 09:25:26 am »
Some brewers add their dry hops somewhere during (presumably at the end of) primary fermentation, the reasoning being that the still active yeast will consume the oxygen that is introduced with the hops.

Does this really make a difference? If so, what trigger should I use to add the hops?

I have never experienced a problem with oxygen introduced by dry hops.  I wonder if it's more theoretical than real.  I have experienced less than ideal results by dry hopping when the beer is still on the yeast, though.  I noticed high levels of geraniol, a rose like quality.  I started xferring the beer before dry hopping and haven't noticed it since.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:42:40 am »
I have never experienced a problem with oxygen introduced by dry hops.  I wonder if it's more theoretical than real.  I have experienced less than ideal results by dry hopping when the beer is still on the yeast, though.  I noticed high levels of geraniol, a rose like quality.  I started xferring the beer before dry hopping and haven't noticed it since.

That's my experience too, Denny. It's why I prefer to dry hop (fairly) clear beer.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 10:12:41 am »
Actually, yeast cells consume O2 whenever it is available, which is why the "Don't rack to secondary because it will oxidize your beer" mantra is yet another home brewer created myth.

Is there a temperature below which they will stop consuming oxygen?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 10:45:56 am »

That is a biotransformation that happens with the yeast, somewhere online I saw data showing the geraniol and linalol going up during fermentation. Adding dry hops to active yeast will give more. Some brewers are after that, Matt Bryndilson for one who talks about adding the dry hops with about 1 degree Plato left. Another brewer says the O2 added gives the yeast a little bump,and they help to give a lower FG to the finished beer.

On the other hand brewers like Vinnie Cilurzo says he drops the yeast before dry hopping, as they will take the resins out if you don't. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 10:47:03 am »
Somebody needs to get Marshall over at Brulosophy to add this to his list of exBEERiments...

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 11:14:36 am »
Is there a temperature below which they will stop consuming oxygen?

Yes, but it is below the range of a home refrigerator.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 11:22:14 am »

Matt Bryndilson for one who talks about adding the dry hops with about 1 degree Plato left. Another brewer says the O2 added gives the yeast a little bump,and they help to give a lower FG to the finished beer.

On the other hand brewers like Vinnie Cilurzo says he drops the yeast before dry hopping, as they will take the resins out if you don't. 

I prefer Vinnie's method for my beers, but OTOH I've had FW's beers and they do not suck, to say the least. ;D
Dry hopping is one of those techniques where there are lots of ways to do it and they are all at least good. Personal preference after that.
Jon H.