Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Silicone  (Read 2280 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Silicone
« on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:14 pm »
So I am building a mini tun for my brewery. Got everything I needed today when it bit me about the silicone. Probably should have bought aquarium silicone at the pet store but I bought clear 100% silicone made by GE. Nothing on the packaging says its food safe, I am wondering if this will be bad.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Silicone
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:52:12 pm »
I wouldn't use it. I've used aquarium silicone for years for minor leaks or sealing. If it isn't food safe, its probably a bad idea. That and it could create some off flavors. Even aquarium silicone seems to need a good wash/sanitize to remove any odors.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:34:56 am »
If you are using a cooler, I wonder if the tun itself is food grade or meant to be utilized in the manner you intend? Probably not.

I'll go out on a limb and say go ahead and use the GE product.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:43:58 am »
If you are using a cooler, I wonder if the tun itself is food grade or meant to be utilized in the manner you intend? Probably not.

Euge brings up a good point about the tun material. In my case, I found a cooler that was BPA free and was as close to food grade as possible. Check the data sheets for the silicone you chose. Some are construction only and are not even under water rated.
TJ Cook

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:08 am »

Meant to be utilized that way?  Probably not.  Safe to use?  99.99% OK.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:03:08 am »

Euge brings up a good point about the tun material. In my case, I found a cooler that was BPA free and was as close to food grade as possible. Check the data sheets for the silicone you chose. Some are construction only and are not even under water rated.

I have yet to see a cooler that isn't BPA free.  Have you seen one that used BPA?  AFAIK, coolers are made of HDPE, which is food safe.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 11:09:00 am »
What are you using it for?  If you are making a mash tun out of a cooler, it really shouldn't be necessary.

Edit: Regarding cooler materials, the interior liners of Igloo brand hard-sided coolers are made out of FDA-grade polypropylene. 

http://www.igloocoolers.com/FAQs#q4
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:11:46 am by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:03 pm »
I wrote this and used the silicone right after

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »

I have yet to see a cooler that isn't BPA free.  Have you seen one that used BPA?  AFAIK, coolers are made of HDPE, which is food safe.

You know, I can't find coolers that don't brag that they are BPA free now. When I bought my tun, only Rubbermaid listed it on their website.
I have the first style Coleman Extreme as a beverage cooler and could never find out what it was made from. I had read the first style had BPA, but couldn't get any real proof either way. I'm glad the companies are being transparent now.
TJ Cook

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 06:59:37 pm »
What are you using it for?  If you are making a mash tun out of a cooler, it really shouldn't be necessary.

Edit: Regarding cooler materials, the interior liners of Igloo brand hard-sided coolers are made out of FDA-grade polypropylene. 

http://www.igloocoolers.com/FAQs#q4

If I lived somewhere that 75% of everything didn't have to be shipped then I probably wouldn't have used silicone. I was building a 3 gallon mini tun. Already had the cooler that I got for free so why not.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 09:26:36 am »
You know, I can't find coolers that don't brag that they are BPA free now. When I bought my tun, only Rubbermaid listed it on their website.
I have the first style Coleman Extreme as a beverage cooler and could never find out what it was made from. I had read the first style had BPA, but couldn't get any real proof either way. I'm glad the companies are being transparent now.

Could be that they were just touting it becasue it was trendy, kinda like how you might see chicken labelled as "gluten free".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 09:38:18 am »

Could be that they were just touting it becasue it was trendy, kinda like how you might see chicken labelled as "gluten free".

HA! Excellent point! Hadn't thought of it like that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:01:47 am by denny »
TJ Cook