Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1/6 Bbl kegs for homebrewing  (Read 6718 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: 1/6 Bbl kegs for homebrewing
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 07:22:34 pm »
Case in $@%€ point!  Yesterday I finished cold-conditioning a pale ale, so I took it out of the freezer (where it was holding pressure perfectly) and moved it to the kegerator to join a Munich Helles (which was also holding pressure perfectly).

I returned last night with my son-in-law and went to pull a beer.  Nothing.  The CO2 tank was empty!  The gas post on the Helles had begun leaking, and now both beers are flat.  I had only checked the new connections. Can I swear on this forum?

I need to work out a good cleaning system for 1/6 bbl sankey kegs and begin getting rid of these corney kegs!

That sucks, Steve. I feel your pain. I've lost a couple kegs out the out post, drained overnight on the f-ing floor (I like to curse at those moments, too ;)). And I've had CO2 tanks go empty out the gas post. My procedure now is to change all o-rings once a year, use keg lube every time, and leak check the prv, lid, gas and liquid posts with starsan on every keg. Matter of fact, I have a cream ale on tap now that had a loose gas post and had I not leak checked it, it would've gone flat and the tank empty. Since I started doing this on all my kegs I haven't had a repeat. Been years.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: 1/6 Bbl kegs for homebrewing
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 06:01:12 am »
You won't have many leaking issues with sixtels, though it can still happen occasionally. But you can still have leaky co2 connections.