Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wild Yeast Revisited  (Read 4861 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Wild Yeast Revisited
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 01:32:16 pm »
Cool info.  I always thought Delbruck was only famous for lactobacillus.

What's even cooler is that the founder of Carlsberg, Jacob Christian Jacobsen, freely shared Emil Christian Hansen's work with the world.  Hansen did not seek patent protection for his propagator because he wanted breweries to adopt it. Jacobson gave Carlsberg Bottom Yeast No. 1 to any brewery that wanted it.  American brewers were quick to adopt Hansen's pure culture propagation system.   Pabst started using it in 1887.   Wyeast Danish Lager is a descendant of Carlsberg Bottom Yeast No. 1.  I believe that this culture was acquired indirectly through Miller. 

Offline Kevin B

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 10:45:18 am »
Hi all, thanks for the input - sorry I haven't been back for a few days, work's been crazy this past week.

To answer some of the questions asked -

No, it wasn't krausen, I know what krausen looks like and it wasn't it, like I said before it was a 1/2" thick gelatinous mass... consequently since my first posting the mass has been broken up by a small krausen bubbling up from underneath leaving new colonies of developing yeast and bacteria that I could only describe as looking like very small granules of cottage cheese.  Also, the funky creamed corn smell has dissipated and has been replaced with the tart slightly citrus smell of the yeast's normal fermentation.

Are you saying it isn't yeast at all or does the OP live downwind from a brewery?

Nope, no brewery within 50 miles at least of where I live - just farms, old orchards, an odd homebrewer or two like myself, and woodlands full of fruit bearing plants.  There are a couple vineyards dotted here and there, but because of the topography of where I live they're either two or three mountain ridges/valleys over or several miles downwind of me.  No real vector for direct inoculation from these places, I'm more likely to get something from the wild concord and fox grapes that grow right behind my house.

They only way to know what is in that culture is to plate it for singles.  If there is top-cropping yeast in the culture, then the OP's collection devices were contaminated with microflora from his brewery because the The probability of finding a top cropping strain in the wild while not zero is very very low.
This yeast is not a top cropper at all - when I collected it, it went straight to the bottom to ferment.  Although there is a possibility and a vector for contamination, I used equipment which had never held any of my previous brews. Although not certain, I'm guessing there probably wasn't any cross contamination with the yeasts I buy b/c all I ever use are ale yeasts which are top croppers (as do most of the homebrewers around here do as well).  Also, the wild sample I took didn't floc very well (all the yeast I buy are good at flocculation), but after a year of sitting in the basement [just like a gueuze] it looked crystal clear beautiful with a fine silty cake on the bottom.

In the meantime I've also taken a sample from the bark of a white oak (it was foaming and bubbling just like the maple I found two years earlier) and I've started an elderflower mead using just the yeast off the flowers themselves.  Hell, I've also seen pine trees with damaged bark foaming around here, and they're not one of the trees traditionally considered to host fermentation yeasts.  All these samples have been taken within a 5 mile radius of each other and have (so far) shown to be fairly good at fermentation once they get going (I'll know their alc. tolerance once the mead finishes, there's enough sugar to reach 14% if it runs completely dry, but I doubt it will reach that)  I just seem to be blessed with a local environment that harbors wild yeast strains a-plenty. 

In the future I will adjust my starters to have a lower pH, I was looking back through my notes and realized I had added some citric acid (lemon juice/pulp) to my original collection starter 2 years ago since I first intended to use the yeast for mead, not beer.  That's probably what kept the other micro-flora in check the last time around, or it could have been airborne contamination when I was transferring liquids from one flask to the next - we'll probably never know...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:53:27 am by Kevin B »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 11:18:28 am »
With as vigorous as it fermented I doubt the acid addition knocked out all of the bacteria in the mix. That pad looks a lot like a kombucha SCOBY. Acetobacter is acid tolerant so it would be unsurprising to find it growing in a culture that was previously acid treated to knock off other bacteria.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline sizzlnchef

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 11:39:42 am »
Hi all. New to forum was wondering I have a mash that has been setting for almost 3 weeks. I checked the gravity and was nowhere near ready.  1 can I still use it and 2 if I put an aquarium heater in it will that help it along?

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 12:01:09 pm »
Hi all. New to forum was wondering I have a mash that has been setting for almost 3 weeks. I checked the gravity and was nowhere near ready.  1 can I still use it and 2 if I put an aquarium heater in it will that help it along?

not sure what you're asking here but it might be good to open a new thread so it doesn't get lost on this one.

Are you saying you've been sour mashing for 3 weeks? or you have a batch of beer that's been fermenting for 3 weeks?

How are you testing the gravity, what gravity are you expecting, why are you expecting that gravity?

and bit of info about recipe and process would also be helpful.

Welcome to the forum!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline sizzlnchef

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 12:04:14 pm »

not sure what you're asking here but it might be good to open a new thread so it doesn't get lost on this one.

Are you saying you've been sour mashing for 3 weeks? or you have a batch of beer that's been fermenting for 3 weeks?

How are you testing the gravity, what gravity are you expecting, why are you expecting that gravity?

Welcome to the forum!
Sour mashing corn sugar water and turbo yeast

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 12:07:07 pm »

Welcome to the forum!
Sour mashing corn sugar water and turbo yeast

Ahh! you might get better info over at the home distillers forum. Just to be sure is it Corn, Sugar, Water... or Corn Sugar, Water...?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Kevin B

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 12:51:53 pm »
With as vigorous as it fermented I doubt the acid addition knocked out all of the bacteria in the mix. That pad looks a lot like a kombucha SCOBY. Acetobacter is acid tolerant so it would be unsurprising to find it growing in a culture that was previously acid treated to knock off other bacteria.

Funny you should mention that, I was just talking to a guy I know who's big into kombucha and he said the same thing.  Weird thing is the two DME starter batches formed this "scoby" but the elderflower mead did not - it just went straight to fermentation with hardly any bacterial or mold floats on the surface - the mead was given a dose of lemon juice to lower acidity, so I either have something that doesn't react well to citric acid, or I just got damn lucky and somehow got a wild culture off the elderflower without getting acetobacter...