Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stainless Rust  (Read 1955 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Stainless Rust
« on: July 04, 2015, 10:10:09 am »
I noticed that the below part (Blichmann 1/2" QuickConnector) has, what I believe, is some rust on it. I've tried some hot PBW soaks to no avail. I think the issue is the small groves which I can't get to just using a cloth or paper towel.

Is a wire brush ever appropriate for getting rid of rust or grime on SS? Perhaps I should try a vinyl brush first.

S. cerevisiae

Re: Stainless Rust
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 10:39:33 am »
 I have noticed that you have experienced rusting with you stainless gear.  Stainless steel should not rust under normal conditions.  While lemon juice, baking soda, and scrubbing with a damp sponge should remove the rust, you need to identify the source of the problem, not treat its symptoms.  Something is removing the oxide film from your stainless.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:43:57 am »
Is it actually rust or stuck on wort?  Hard to tell from the photo.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:58:03 am »
Could be wort, think I'll try a vinyl brush or just RDWAHAHB

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 11:39:27 am »
Could be wort, think I'll try a vinyl brush or just RDWAHAHB

Did you try soaking it in a hot cleaning solution?  I'd use Craftmeister alkaline for something like that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 01:05:16 pm »
Acid solutions are best for removing rust. Try some vinegar.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:32:00 pm »
I noticed that the below part (Blichmann 1/2" QuickConnector) has, what I believe, is some rust on it. I've tried some hot PBW soaks to no avail. I think the issue is the small groves which I can't get to just using a cloth or paper towel.

Is a wire brush ever appropriate for getting rid of rust or grime on SS? Perhaps I should try a vinyl brush first.

Never use a wire brush on stainless.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 09:23:47 am »

Good advice, excepting that it should be a non-ferrous or stainless steel brush. Bronze, nylon, stainless steel are OK. You also have to be careful when working with stainless and you contaminate the metal with plain iron.

On another note, all stainless steel can rust if its exposed to the wrong environment. In the brewery, the most hazardous environment typically arises from high chlorides. Using bleach or hydrochloric acid on those metals can be detrimental. The grade of the stainless steel also has a large effect on its corrosion resistance. The cheap stainless that is often magnetic, is more prone to corrosion. The 300 series steel is typically more corrosion resistant. I have to deal with this issue in wastewater treatment. 304 stainless is sort of the bottom line and I have to move up to 316 steel when the corrosion conditions are more severe. I did some work for the South Florida Water Management District years ago and had to spec an even higher stainless grade (317) because it was exposed to seawater. From my experience, brewery use most typically needs only 304 stainless. Just be aware that you can screw that up if you expose it to too much chloride during some sort of cleaning operation.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 09:54:30 am »

Good advice, excepting that it should be a non-ferrous or stainless steel brush. Bronze, nylon, stainless steel are OK. You also have to be careful when working with stainless and you contaminate the metal with plain iron.

On another note, all stainless steel can rust if its exposed to the wrong environment. In the brewery, the most hazardous environment typically arises from high chlorides. Using bleach or hydrochloric acid on those metals can be detrimental. The grade of the stainless steel also has a large effect on its corrosion resistance. The cheap stainless that is often magnetic, is more prone to corrosion. The 300 series steel is typically more corrosion resistant. I have to deal with this issue in wastewater treatment. 304 stainless is sort of the bottom line and I have to move up to 316 steel when the corrosion conditions are more severe. I did some work for the South Florida Water Management District years ago and had to spec an even higher stainless grade (317) because it was exposed to seawater. From my experience, brewery use most typically needs only 304 stainless. Just be aware that you can screw that up if you expose it to too much chloride during some sort of cleaning operation.
You are correct, " never use a ferrous wire brush".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 10:56:58 am »

I was told the same thing by my keg supplier "all SS can rust". I've had an ongoing issue with small rust showing up on the welds of the keg lid handle. Maybe this technically isn't SS that's rusting but the weld.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 11:04:48 am »
Try this, scrub the rusted portion with Barkeepers Friend, get it really clean. Rinse off and dry. The O2 in the air will passivate it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:43 am »
I too was going to suggest Bar Keepers Friend.  That stuff is amazing.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC