Other than Brewing > The Pub

Are some beers better than others?

(1/5) > >>

brookspn:
This is a conversation I'm sure we are all familiar with.  One of our friends is drinking back on a Bud Light Lime and we may say something like, "why don't you try drinking something good?"  Which raises a great question; Is my Pliny the Elder better than his Bud Light Lime?  If so, what makes it better?  It is all a matter of taste, or lack thereof.  Or is there some sort of intrinsic quality that makes Vinnie's crowning achievement superior to the dregs of Anhauser-Busch?

nicneufeld:
Is Herbie Hancock better than the Jonas Brothers?  These are the questions that haunt us as we walk the fine line between good taste and snobbery.

a10t2:
I'd say PTE and Bud Light are both world-class examples of their respective styles. If you don't like a style, that's different from it being *bad*.

On the other hand, there are definitely beers that are objectively bad. I've had some, commercial and homebrewed.

blatz:
better is subjective  - whats better to you might be worse to him and vice versa. there are no absolutes.

The Professor:
I went through a beer snob period.
Really, the best beer is the one in your hand, that you enjoy.

And for whatever it's worth, inasmuch as I have been a booster for the micro movement since it began, it must be noted with objectivity that  "big brewing" prejudices aside, A/B-InBev is making some pretty decent specialty beers these days. 
They may yet get it right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version