Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Out of ideas  (Read 5422 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Out of ideas
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 09:15:35 pm »
Email farmhouse. I have never dealt with them, but I hear they are a pretty stand-up company.

I have always had good luck with them in the past.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:26 am »
I just got a response from Farmhouse. They said if I had contacted them before ordering new posts they would have sent me new ones. They said they would like to have the ones I take off of my kegs to show to their manufacturers. They said they would credit me the amount I spent on my new posts toward future purchases from them.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 11:20:51 am »
That's awesome news. I think you need a new perlick faucet.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 11:25:47 am »
I just got a response from Farmhouse. They said if I had contacted them before ordering new posts they would have sent me new ones. They said they would like to have the ones I take off of my kegs to show to their manufacturers. They said they would credit me the amount I spent on my new posts toward future purchases from them.

Keep us posted (no pun intended) on this as I was thinking about getting a few of those kegs.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 12:11:55 pm »
They told me they have only had this complaint one other time. My only complaints about this keg other than this is that it seems to be a larger diameter than my other kegs, the posts are not marked in or out, and the opening at the top isn't quite as big as the openings on my Chinese kegs. I can't reach my entire arm into clean it like I can on those. There is only one handle and the edges on it really need to be smoothed. On the upside it has some kind of certification and seems to be sturdier than my Chinese kegs.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 02:23:37 pm »
You might want to put colored o-rings on the posts so you can easily tell the beer and gas posts apart.

If they are wider than normal I might not be able to fit 3 in my kegerator without using the compressor hump which I want to save for what's "on deck."

If you're looking for more I found these for $75 new and they look just like the ones I own now.

http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=5100&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ProductAds&gclid=CMO58rr22MYCFcwXHwodv2IPDw

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 05:41:48 pm »
I can't get 3 in my kegerator when I use one of these instead of the chinese ones.

Thankyou for the link
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 06:39:29 pm »
I put a piece of colored electrical tape on the gas side of the keg.  Never made a mistake after that.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 07:07:40 pm »
I got my new posts today. I did the switch and I am still getting nothing but foam. I tried pulling the dip tube out and putting a second O ring on it to shim it up a bit in case it is too long. Still no luck. I just can't imagine what is wrong.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 01:35:48 pm »
I finally got frustrated and dumped my beer out so I could tear the keg down and see what was going on. Here is what I found

I emailed Farmhouse a few days ago. I am still waiting to see if they will make it right.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 01:43:25 pm »
Wow, that sucks. They need to make it right.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 01:52:01 pm »
Wow. First time I've seen that. I'm sure they will take care of you.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 02:54:27 pm »
Oh wow, that just sucks. I wouldn't have dumped the beer though if it was good. You should've siphoned it into another keg, especially with how good you said it was. Farmhouse will make it right, I'm sure of it.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 03:29:29 pm »
I finally got frustrated and dumped my beer out so I could tear the keg down and see what was going on. Here is what I found

I emailed Farmhouse a few days ago. I am still waiting to see if they will make it right.

I'm assuming it's not the rusty painted expanded metal.  Sucks that you dumped the beer, but couldn't you see that crack when you pulled the dip tube?

I've had a keg that gave me nothing but foam if there was too much pressure in the keg.  It finally stopped pouring altogether last week.  I had some spare dip tubes and was going to try replacing that piece to see if that helped but I got the bright idea to swap out the post first.  Turns out the problem was the poppet.  Long story short, it's useful to swap parts (assuming the same keg manufacturer) to see if you can narrow the problem down.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 03:38:53 pm »
That hole would definitely cause some issues.

One other thing I've had happen, in case folks see this type of issue again, was when we had a power failure and my temp controller freaked out.  the kegs warmed up over 2 or so weeks to 65 Deg F or so and really stared foaming bad.  It took me a couple of swallows to realize the beer was much warmer than usual.  Reset the controller and everything straightened out.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?