Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speaking of Grandma's and IPA's...  (Read 2057 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Speaking of Grandma's and IPA's...
« on: June 04, 2010, 02:15:03 pm »
Last weekend I attended my one of my Aunts surprise B-day parties, she's 89.  To make a long story short we had a lot of fun and one of the things that was interesting was my Aunt telling me about how my Grandfather and Great Uncles used to brew their own beer back then.  She thinks its interesting that I took up homebrewing.  She told me about a time when my Father had managed to get into a batch that was still fermenting, she said he had passed out.... he was only about 5 years old!    :o   I love listening to the stories from back then.   :)  :D  Its good to see her, its been more than 10 years since I had seen her last.

Grandma was very much like a good IPA... lightly sweet, mellow but crisp and bitter when you were out of line.  She'd wash your mouth out with soap faster than you could say "but" and didn't care how old you were either!  I can still feel the rasp of her fingers washing behind my ears when I think about her... cleanliness was next to godliness.   :D  God Bless Grandmas!   :)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Speaking of Grandma's and IPA's...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:19:23 pm »
Well said my man!  Well said!!  Fond memories can't be taken away. Treasure them for a lifetime!!  :)
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »
i recently found out that my great grandfather was also a brewer.  he passed well before i was born though.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:54:58 pm »
She told me about a time when my Father had managed to get into a batch that was still fermenting, she said he had passed out.... he was only about 5 years old! 

My grandmother, rest her soul, used to tell a very similar story. She said that her father kept a jug of his homebrew buried in the garden "to keep it cool". She got into it once and passed out.

She also used to think any craft beer tasted like "homebrew" declaring "yup, that's homebrew". Even Sam Adams... lol!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 04:48:55 pm »
i recently found out that my great grandfather was also a brewer.  he passed well before i was born though.

My dad used to tell me stories about his father (off the boat from Hungary) making both beer and wine at home.  Evidently he sourced the beermaking stuff from one of the breweries in Pittsburgh that had transitioned away from alcohol (officially, anyway) during the dry years.  My grandfather died more than 20 years before I was born and didn't even live to see prohibition repealed.    My older aunts & uncles had pretty high praise for my granddad's fermentations...I sure wish I had the opportunity to chat about this stuff with him.

My late dad sure did enjoy my homebrew though.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 02:13:47 pm »
My wife's Granny is turning 90 next month! Definitedly an IPA or as least a VESB!

My wife loves me for not arguing with her. I just take my licks and shut it...
Ruben * Colorado :)