Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on "fermcap"  (Read 5533 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Thoughts on "fermcap"
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 12:34:15 pm »
Ah, yeah, now that you mention it, I do recall raising an eyebrow at that.  However, it still would mean only a 5x increase, so it's more like 280 pints per day.
Agreed, but why not limit what you can?  I've had no trouble living with drastically reduced of Fermcap.
So when you planning to stop using those plastic items that leach into your beer?  ;)  To me, it's a question of risk vs. reward.  Using Fermcap, I don't worry or focus on boilovers or messy blowoffs.  The 0.045g/glass just isn't that big a risk in comparison.

If I had evidence that the plastic I used leached, I would.  but since every indication is that it doesn't, I've done my due diligence.  I've found other, almost equally easy ways to deal with boilovers and blowoff, so those aren't reasons for me.  And I'm not trying to convince anyone else.  I convinced myself and that's all that I need.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 12:45:14 pm »
If I had evidence that the plastic I used leached, I would.  but since every indication is that it doesn't, I've done my due diligence.  I've found other, almost equally easy ways to deal with boilovers and blowoff, so those aren't reasons for me.  And I'm not trying to convince anyone else.  I convinced myself and that's all that I need.

+1.  And reading the Toxicology presentation from this year's NHC did nothing to change my mind about using coolers.
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 12:51:15 pm »
+1.  And reading the Toxicology presentation from this year's NHC did nothing to change my mind about using coolers.
The whole point of the presentation was that all of the worry about chemicals (including plastics leaching or simethicone) was silly from a risk perspective.  The only significant risk is sweet, sweet ethanol. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:22 pm »
The whole point of the presentation was that all of the worry about chemicals (including plastics leaching or simethicone) was silly from a risk perspective.  The only significant risk is sweet, sweet ethanol. 

Agreed. That was my takeaway.
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:00 pm »
Incidentally, it appears that much of the concern about it comes from secondhand information.  After doing some curious googling, I actually found a direct link to the FDA code on it.  Note there is nothing mentioned about filtering, only a final presence of less than 10ppm generally.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=173.340

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 01:46:49 pm »
Mostly I quit using it because saying "my beers are made with barley, hops, water, yeast and Fermcap-S" just sounds awkward. 
I make a point to mention the nylon I also use because in Food Babe world, that's an ingredient too.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 07:44:42 am »
I stopped worrying about it some time ago. Read this the other day, I am not worried.

"The dose makes the poison"

Fermcap-S Safe level is 13g/day, at 2 drops per carboy the per glass rate you would get is 0.009g/glass. I can't drink that much beer! 1400 pints day.
Source the "Homebrew Toxicology" presentation by Paul Hanlon, NHC 2015.

Alcohol is the most toxic thing we are ingesting.

Agreed, but why not limit what you can?  I've had no trouble living with drastically reduced of Fermcap.
I would likely have to stop brewing without Fermcap. I boil 4 gallons (with the lid on until I get up to a rolling boil) in a 5 gallon pot on my stove. If I boiled over with any great frequency the wife would cut me off.

I realize that you are not trying to tell anyone to stop using Fermcap. I'm not trying to force it down anyone's throats myself. But as a pharmacist I will say that there is no medical or toxicological reason to limit your use or exposure to Fermcap. The stuff is perfectly safe and nontoxic even if used at much higher levels than as described on the label. And you are likely already exposed to this stuff on a frequent basis from other food/cosmetic products already.

Again, I understand your sentiment, but the phrase "why not limit what you can?" implies that there is a reason to limit Fermcap exposure, and there is no good reason outside of "personal choice". There is more reason to limit beer altogether than Fermcap, at least from a medical/toxicological viewpoint.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 09:12:31 am »
I use it a couple of drops at a time to prevent boil-overs and I'm perfectly normal and healthy.  Well, pretty healthy.  For someone my age.  Maybe not normal.  Except for this twitch.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995