Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Mash Tun  (Read 3269 times)

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
New Mash Tun
« on: July 09, 2015, 09:49:36 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to build my own mash tun based on the AHA sample using a cooler. Only real difference is I found some fittings that screw together instead of using all the tubing in the video

I have 2 questions,
1) should I use Teflon tape for the inside connection (inside the mash tun from the braided "false bottom" to the bulkhead)

2) The instructions say to use a 48 quart or larger cooler and while 48 quarts translates to 12 galons of space will using a 48q cooler limit the size of my grain bill? I currently make 5 gallon batches and don't for see growing past that anytime soon but I want to make sure that I can make higher grain beers like imperials and not need a new mash tun.

Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New Mash Tun
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:51:28 am »
That video is based on my system which you can see at www.dennybrew.com.  My experience is that a 48 qt. cooler maxes out at about 28 lb. of grain at 1 qt./lb.  And at that point it's almost too full to stir.  That amount of grain lets you make 5 gal. of a 1.100 beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:52:00 am »
BTW, I've tried the bullkhead and fittings and went back to the tubing.  I get better performance that way.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:58:43 am »
That video is based on my system which you can see at www.dennybrew.com.  My experience is that a 48 qt. cooler maxes out at about 28 lb. of grain at 1 qt./lb.  And at that point it's almost too full to stir.  That amount of grain lets you make 5 gal. of a 1.100 beer.

Thanks Denny,

I guess that makes you the perfect person to ask. I guess I should be more than fine with the 48q sicne I don't plan on making anything quite that big, I want my friends and family to enjoy my beer not have 1 then a nap  ::)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:37:04 pm »
BTW, I've tried the bullkhead and fittings and went back to the tubing.  I get better performance that way.

I screwed around for ages putting together a ball valve fitting and it was a major PITA.  I finally slobbed it up with silicone and it doesn't leak.

For my second tun, I just stuffed the hose in through a mini-keg bung and it sealed and worked with minimum effort.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:46:34 pm »
Bulkhead and fitting in a Coleman Xtreme work exceedingly well for me (with a bazooka instead of a braid).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:12 pm »
Bulkhead and fitting in a Coleman Xtreme work exceedingly well for me (with a bazooka instead of a braid).

I use a bulkhead/valve conversion in an Xtreme, except I use a braid. Really happy with it, too.
Jon H.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
New Mash Tun
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:51:31 pm »

+1.  Love that combo.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »
Yeah, the drain channel in the Xtreme 70qt is its best feature, IMO.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 01:45:54 pm »

Tried that exact setup in my 70 qt. Coleman Extreme and found that it didn't drain as well as with my Cheap'n'Easy setup.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »
Tried that exact setup in my 70 qt. Coleman Extreme and found that it didn't drain as well as with my Cheap'n'Easy setup.
Wonder why.  If I leave more than a cup of liquid in the tun, it's because I choose to.  Maybe the altitude.  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 02:14:13 pm »
Wonder why.  If I leave more than a cup of liquid in the tun, it's because I choose to.  Maybe the altitude.  ;)

Yeah, that's GOT to be it!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 02:20:59 pm »

Yeah, that's GOT to be it!  ;)

Mine is actually in a 10 gallon Igloo water cooler but with the bazooka screen and SS bulkhead.  I never have issues lautering and sparging.  I've never needed rice hulls even with 60% wheat.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 08:33:04 am »
Thanks for all the god input. I managed to find a 48q Coleman for $20 at my local grocery store thank you Independence Day sales. The tun is nearly ready I just need to put in the ball valve and get to brewing with it .

Last stupid question. Do I need to sanitize the tun prior to adding the strike water and grains, or do I just make sure it's clean and trust the boil will kill everything?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 09:01:49 am »
Just keep it clean. I don't scrub mine but once in a great while. After the mash I scoop the grains out and hose it down.