Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lacto. Frustrations  (Read 4934 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Lacto. Frustrations
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 07:44:34 am »
It didn't get to 4.1 spontaneously. Lacto is doing its thing. You are probably targeting somewhere in the mid or low 3 realm. I'd suggest giving that starter some heat and see if you can encourage more growth.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 07:55:56 am »
Well isn't apple juice PH 4? The starter was made up of a liter of apple juice and a liter of club soda. There was heat of 100 or so on it for 4 days.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »
Worth mixing up another starter (scaled down in size of course) and testing starting pH before tossing your current starter?  My experience with Lacto was it didn't behave like I wanted it to.  But still did the job eventually. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline bwalden2341

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 08:22:35 am »
I have done three lactic starters using the grain technique. I am 2 for 3 so far. The bad one was caused by not putting enough to co2 in solution to drive out the O2. I never saw bubbling in my starters but i did smell a yogurt like odor after 8 - 12 hours. The bad one smelled like bile or vomit and after listen to the chad yakobsen show on the bn, I now know it was butric acid.

Bill Walden
Oddball Brewing Co.
Suncook, NH

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 09:00:19 am »
Hey Bill I live about 10 minutes from your location. Just noticed your "opening soon" signs a couple of months ago.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 09:30:38 am »
Hey Bill I live about 10 minutes from your location. Just noticed your "opening soon" signs a couple of months ago.

Now I know why you stopped doing the NH Beer Scene blog.  Go luck on the opening!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 03:27:09 pm »
I can confirm the Omega blend works fast.  I used it at 85F and it took 10 gallons of Berliner wort from 4.3 to 2.9 pH in 18 hours.  I made a 1500 ml starter 6 days earlier and held it at 85F right up to the point of pitching it.  I boiled it for 90 minutes and pitched a healthy starter of 1056 then fermented it at 63F.  I will be racking to keg this weekend and tasting it - I expect to need blending on this one....

Just checked my Omega Lactic Blend starter and the pH is 3.5 only 26 hours after pitching. I kept it at just over 72 degrees most of the time, but it actually fell to the mid 60's for a short period. (Cold front overnight caught me by surprise.)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »
I can confirm the Omega blend works fast.  I used it at 85F and it took 10 gallons of Berliner wort from 4.3 to 2.9 pH in 18 hours.  I made a 1500 ml starter 6 days earlier and held it at 85F right up to the point of pitching it.  I boiled it for 90 minutes and pitched a healthy starter of 1056 then fermented it at 63F.  I will be racking to keg this weekend and tasting it - I expect to need blending on this one....

Just checked my Omega Lactic Blend starter and the pH is 3.5 only 26 hours after pitching. I kept it at just over 72 degrees most of the time, but it actually fell to the mid 60's for a short period. (Cold front overnight caught me by surprise.)

Man, that is crazy fast!  Any ideas what strains are in that blend?

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 03:54:10 pm »

Man, that is crazy fast!  Any ideas what strains are in that blend?

Brevis & plantarum

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 03:59:21 pm »
I have worked with Brevis before but never even heard of plantarum.  That must be the one that really helps kick the fermentation into high gear. 

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 04:13:46 pm »
Yep, works at room temp, which is pretty much where I've held this blend.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 04:19:37 pm »
That is absolutely amazing.  A real game changer...I wonder if they had to mess with the genetics of that strain at all?

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 04:29:21 pm »
That is absolutely amazing.  A real game changer...I wonder if they had to mess with the genetics of that strain at all?

Pretty sure they said it was isolated from the "pitching a handful of grain" technique. I'll see if I can find that.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »
The Lactobacillus plantarum strain was isolated in collaboration with Marz Community Brewing from a starter inoculated with whole malt grains.

http://www.omegayeast.com/?portfolio=lactobacillus-blend

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 04:33:11 pm »
Yep - Claims to have been isolated from a starter with malt tossed in.  I've used the Omega a couple of times this summer and it definitely makes things a lot easier.

Edit:  That's it.  The starter and pitch directions on that link are a solid plan too.  No O2 in starter or before pitching yeast - I confirmed that with the owner.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:35:24 pm by brewday »