Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spencer Trappist Ale  (Read 3869 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Spencer Trappist Ale
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 07:11:23 am »
I picked up a few bottles in Denver two weeks ago.  Great beer, spicy and Belgiany, certainly a strong member of the Trappist tradition!  I'll have to keep better tasting notes on the next one.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 08:45:30 am »
I just had it on tap at a restaurant a mile from the abbey last week. It was even more heavenly. It was mighty expensive though.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:33 pm »
I just had it on tap at a restaurant a mile from the abbey last week. It was even more heavenly. It was mighty expensive though.

Oh, you've got to tell me where! That would be worth taking a road trip.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 07:12:14 pm »
In MA visiting my son and saw it in the local liquor store.  Had read about it - how the monks got started with it, etc.  just finished the single bottle I bought for $4.69.  Big, foamy head but not a gusher.  High carb.  Peppery taste.  Great mouthfeel.  Good aftertaste.  Liked it and would buy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 05:32:58 am »

Oh, you've got to tell me where! That would be worth taking a road trip.
There's a place called the Black & White a mile north of the abbey on Rt 31. Its not a great restaurant but the fried seafood is good and the pizza is decent. The abbey doesn't give tours of the brewery because its in the monastic enclosure but you could visit the monastery. You can go into the chapel where there is a section for lay people and the grounds are beautiful and you can go to the gift shop and buy Spencer ale chalices and of course Trappist preserves. I imagine there are places out your way that have it on tap though.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 06:39:09 am »
Thanks! I'll look and see if any place around here has it on tap, but it sounds like it might be a good excuse for a ride out to the western part of the state. I'm off for the summer, so I think it would be a worthwhile trip.
Frank C.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 06:54:59 am »
Thanks! I'll look and see if any place around here has it on tap, but it sounds like it might be a good excuse for a ride out to the western part of the state. I'm off for the summer, so I think it would be a worthwhile trip.
Oh boy one of those Boston area people who thinks anything outside of 495 is the western part of the state! ;) If you want you can PM me when you come out this way and we can have a couple together. I could also suggest other places to go. A ride out to Amherst/Northampton on route 9 is always nice and could actually be considered Western Mass. I would say Amherst is about 45-50 minutes or so from the Abbey.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 06:58:26 am »
Oh boy one of those Boston area people who thinks anything outside of 495 is the western part of the state! ;)
It is...just like anything south of the NH/MA border is "The South".  Just not the Deep South...that would be Connecticut. ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 07:03:09 am »
Pete,

Has Spencer stepped up their production yet? I remember reading that the other Trappist breweries wanted Spencer to wait a few years to upsize production, presumably to get their QC process down pat. But I thought I read recently that they were stepping up, or would do so fairly soon. And seeing that BrewingRover found it in a Target in SF, I assumed they'd already stepped it up.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 07:39:22 am »
Pete,

Has Spencer stepped up their production yet? I remember reading that the other Trappist breweries wanted Spencer to wait a few years to upsize production, presumably to get their QC process down pat. But I thought I read recently that they were stepping up, or would do so fairly soon. And seeing that BrewingRover found it in a Target in SF, I assumed they'd already stepped it up.
I believe they have. It seems in the last few months that they have started shipping to various population centers throughout the country. It seems likely they are starting in wealthier and/or craft friendly areas, SF and Denver just got mentioned in the past few posts. I saw a list of where its sold but don't remember if it was on their site or another.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 05:53:13 pm »
Oh boy one of those Boston area people who thinks anything outside of 495 is the western part of the state! ;) If you want you can PM me when you come out this way and we can have a couple together. I could also suggest other places to go. A ride out to Amherst/Northampton on route 9 is always nice and could actually be considered Western Mass. I would say Amherst is about 45-50 minutes or so from the Abbey.

I may just take you up on that. Thanks.
Frank C.