Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2015 BrewUnited Challenge  (Read 1982 times)

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
2015 BrewUnited Challenge
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:12:09 am »
Welp, I'm stupid.  I somehow overlooked this category, have been posting to the general brewing area.  Mods, feel free to deal with my other posts as appropriate!

The 2015 BrewUnited Challenge is a bit of a unique animal.  In this BJCP sanctioned, AHA sponsored competition, brewers are given a list of allowed ingredients: 4 malts (all of which must be used), 6 hops (exactly two must be used), and yeast is a wildcard.  You then pick from fifteen BJCP styles to enter, which are then organized into three Divisions - Hoppy, Balanced, and Malty beers.

Since many of the styles don't align fantastically with the ingredients, brewers are challenged to employ unusual techniques - home toasting/roasting of grains, reducing runnings to syrup, cold steeping, and all manner of hopping schedules and techniques.

So why bother?  Aside from the fun of the challenge, we have nearly **$3200 worth of prizes** to be given away - including a Chronical 7 gallon stainless fermentor (worth $395) from SS Brew Tech.

We do have a pretty firm entry cap of 100 beers per Division (300 overall), and have already received better than 200 entries in less than two weeks since registration opened... so if you might be interested in participating, you may want to register sooner rather than later. 

Registration is $10 for the first beer, $5 for additional beers - with a cap of three beers per brewer.  There is plenty of time to brew; judging is not until October 25th, and we won't start accepting beers until September 26th - but as I mentioned earlier, registration is filling up fast, so interested brewers may want to go ahead and save a spot.

For complete rules, the entry form, and prize information, please see the 2015 BrewUnited Challenge web page.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: 2015 BrewUnited Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 07:28:33 am »
when will this be judged / results posted?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:51:31 am »
when will this be judged / results posted?
According to the 1am email, Balanced and Hoppy are judged with some relatively small amount left to judge for Malty.  Results are not going to get posted until it's all complete.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:48:30 am »
Thanks, toby.  Yep, I sent out an email around 1 AM CST today.  Hoppy and Balanced judging is done and scores are entered.  Malty has ~1 category left to judge due to some major issues with no shows on judges.  We hope to have that judging done either today or tomorrow.

As soon as that is done, I will post results for the Divisional round.  We have scheduled this Sunday (November 1st) for the overall BOS judging, but that may get pushed due to shipping - it depends on how Malty wraps things.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 12:36:31 pm »
Thanks guys. I haven't seen any website updates, and I've not seen an email since registering so I was beginning to wonder.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 12:37:36 pm »
Check your spam, rjharper.  I have sent multiple emails regarding the comp.  :)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:44:05 pm »
Check your spam, rjharper.  I have sent multiple emails regarding the comp.  :)

I actually have spam filtering turned off for that email so there's nothing to check - everything makes it to my inbox. You know in hindsight, I dont think I even got emails when I registered / joined the site. Hmmm... :/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:45:47 pm by rjharper »

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 12:45:41 pm »
It's possible that your email provider is killing it higher up.  I've seen that with a couple of providers, like Comcast.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »
It's possible that your email provider is killing it higher up.  I've seen that with a couple of providers, like Comcast.

your website freaks out the Verizon safe site app every time I try to go there on my phone. It's possible you've got some odd malware looking code somewhere that his email server is rejecting
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 12:50:50 pm »
Interesting. I switched from my brew email to my personal gmail to see if that fixes it.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 12:52:54 pm »
That's interesting, morticaixavier.  do you have an error message or the like that you might share?  I keep a pretty close eye on stuff like that.

rjharper - I get mine on gmail (I always send a test to myself before I send to the list).  Some people have reported that it goes to spam until they mark emails as "not spam".

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 11:53:58 am »
Hey guys - results are posted.

Also, McAfee just let me know that they have taken us off of the spam site list, and that will be reflected on the next update.  :)