Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Milk Stout yeast @72f  (Read 1171 times)

Offline RandyH

• 1st Kit
Milk Stout yeast @72f
« on: February 26, 2020, 05:20:54 pm »
 First post!
 I am new to brewing 3 batches so far, 1 Ok, 1 good, 1 in bottle for less than a week, not sure about it. Anyway i need a yeast that i can use for a milk stout at 72F
 The recipe i am using calls for WLP002 but that seems to like 68f max

Yeast suggestions?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Milk Stout yeast @72f
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:50:58 pm »
Kveik Voss?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline RandyH

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 08:14:59 pm »
Do you have experience with this yeast?

Mfg says
Fermentation that is completed in 5-7 days at 25°C (77°F)  -- will it work at 72f?

Medium to high attenuation and very high flocculation.
Neutral flavor profile across the temperature range with notes of orange and citrus.
The optimal temperature range for LalBrew® Voss yeast when producing traditional
styles is 35-40°C (95-104°F)
Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavor are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort. Our research suggests that pitching LalBrew® Voss directly into wort without prior rehydration will often result in better performance including shorter lag-phase and greater attenuation.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 10:22:47 pm »
Omega Labs sells a Voss Kveik and they list the range from 72 - 98 F.
https://omegayeast.com/yeast/norwegian-kveik/voss-kveik

It should work at 72. The question is whether you are OK with citrus flavors in your milk stout.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 05:31:55 am »
If I were you rather than change the yeast I would lower the temperature. There is plenty of info on this forum on how to do that if you search for it. No expensive equipment required. Assuming you have learned decent sanitation in your first three brews controlling your fermentation temp is the most important step you can take to make good beer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 08:46:36 am »
If I were you rather than change the yeast I would lower the temperature. There is plenty of info on this forum on how to do that if you search for it. No expensive equipment required. Assuming you have learned decent sanitation in your first three brews controlling your fermentation temp is the most important step you can take to make good beer.

THIS^^^^   And a few degrees off from the recommended temp doesn't mean that the yeast won't work.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 06:35:36 am »
Kveiks can get a bit unhappy at "low" (-for-them) temperatures and at lower ABVs.

Since all milk stout has its roots in one beer - Mackeson, which was bought by Whitbread in the 1920s - then a Whitbread yeast is the obvious answer. I've not used it that high, but Wyeast 1099 is specced as going up to 75F. Or maybe something like WLP066 London Fog which is listed as going to 72F.