Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The First Wort Hop Effect | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 9568 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: The First Wort Hop Effect | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2015, 06:10:19 am »
Kudos to everyone in involved in this experiment & others.  I know its a ton of work and can further our interest in the hobby.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, and in other discussions of experiments like this where there are two variations of one beer and a panel of tasters to gather the data, a truer result probably won't be known until this experiment is repeated with a variety of recipes.  When you have results from just one beer, you can only really draw conclusions about that one beer; what you are really assessing is how well a population of people can taste the difference between that single beer.  What we really need is tasting panels tasting maybe 5 or more recipes brewed by the methods here.  Sounds like a multi-club experiment in the making.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2015, 09:39:24 am »

If unisomerized AA's are not bitter, there has to be something else in the plant material that is harshly bitter, because it sure tastes that way to me.

Could it be tannins?

Denny, chew on a raw hop and find out.  It ain't tannins.  Non-isomerized alpha acids or something in your raw hops are VERY dang bitter.

I have and that's why I asked.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2015, 10:27:47 am »
Maybe they go more bitter when slightly cooked.  The one I ate was in a pickle jar.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2015, 03:21:34 am »
Maybe they go more bitter when slightly cooked.  The one I ate was in a pickle jar.
Too funny! Who'd ever guess that a hop that was pickled would only be bitter if slightly cooked

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2015, 05:52:36 am »
I'm trying to figure out how a hop got in a pickle jar.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2015, 08:05:16 am »
A good friend of mine makes pickles with hops as flavoring.  The pickles are good.  The pickled hops, not so much.  It all seemed like a good idea when we were drunk.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2015, 08:31:06 pm »
I bought pickled hop shoots from Hops Direct one spring. We didn't finish the jar, it was like chewing pickled grass.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2015, 08:55:10 am »

If unisomerized AA's are not bitter, there has to be something else in the plant material that is harshly bitter, because it sure tastes that way to me.

Could it be tannins?

Denny, chew on a raw hop and find out.  It ain't tannins.  Non-isomerized alpha acids or something in your raw hops are VERY dang bitter.

I have and that's why I asked.

I thought I had read that it wasn't about whether one (iso vs non-iso) was bitter or not, it is about solubility in the solution. iso are soluble and mix into the aqueous solution whereas non-iso are not soluble and essentially drop out (or float up, whichever it may be). Non-iso would be like tossing belgian rock candy in your beer whereas iso would be like pouring in some simple syrup. At least that's been my understanding. Thus, the reason why dry hopping doesn't impart any additional bitterness.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:56:54 am by stpug »