Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning Blowoff Tubes  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Cleaning Blowoff Tubes
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:40:12 am »
So I think I've narrowed a recent source of infection to my blowoff tube. What's everyone's method for cleaning these? Evidently soaking in PBW followed by a good rinse and soak in star san isn't enough.

I'm using a 1" ID plastic tube stuffed into the neck of a 6.5 gallon carboy, FYI.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Cleaning Blowoff Tubes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:53:48 am »
So I think I've narrowed a recent source of infection to my blowoff tube. What's everyone's method for cleaning these? Evidently soaking in PBW followed by a good rinse and soak in star san isn't enough.

I'm using a 1" ID plastic tube stuffed into the neck of a 6.5 gallon carboy, FYI.

I know it's darn near standard practice...  but I've never trusted the "1" tube in the carboy neck" blowoff set up because I don't think you get a very reliable or sanitary seal.

I like a smaller diameter tube inserted into a rubber stopper.

PBW soak and an occasional brush on tough debris is all I've ever had to do.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:39 am »
I have a carboy cap with 1/2" tubing on the larger port for my blowoff.  To clean, I soak in Oxyclean and rinse.  Since I only need about 2-3ft for my tube, I'll replace it frequently, especially if it was just used on a active blowoff. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline gcupples

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:14:20 am »
I have a carboy cap with 1/2" tubing on the larger port for my blowoff.  To clean, I soak in Oxyclean and rinse.  Since I only need about 2-3ft for my tube, I'll replace it frequently, especially if it was just used on a active blowoff.

I'm the same way. It feels wasteful material wise, but it's inexpensive and is worth the peace of mind in my opinion.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 11:18:48 am »
Well needless to say I'll be throwing the old blowoff tube out.

What's considered the minimum ID for a blowoff hose?

Offline gcupples

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:23:03 am »
The ID is eluding me right now but it's the same as your standard 3-piece airlock. I've never had any issues with that size.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:34:50 am »

I'm using 1/2" ID silicone high temp tubing slipped onto the inside post of a 3-piece airlock with the cover and the little floating bubble removed.

You can boil the silicone tubing.

My only problem so far is that I can't seem to remove the tubing from the airlock without breaking the plastic post. I'm going to look for a piece of stainless tube instead, then just clean and boil the entire set-up after every use.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:56:51 am »

I'm using 1/2" ID silicone high temp tubing slipped onto the inside post of a 3-piece airlock with the cover and the little floating bubble removed.

You can boil the silicone tubing.

My only problem so far is that I can't seem to remove the tubing from the airlock without breaking the plastic post. I'm going to look for a piece of stainless tube instead, then just clean and boil the entire set-up after every use.
If you can't find SS tube, a piece of copper tube should also work and is easier to cut and bend.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:00:25 pm »

I'm the same way. It feels wasteful material wise, but it's inexpensive and is worth the peace of mind in my opinion.

+2.  I recently picked up 100' of it for a fraction of the price I would have paid at my LHBS.  Ought to last for a while.....

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 12:06:37 pm »
Another option I'm looking into is Fermcap-S. How effective is it? Wouldn't it still be prudent to still have a backup blowoff tube setup?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 01:39:14 pm »
Another option I'm looking into is Fermcap-S. How effective is it?

Very.

Wouldn't it still be prudent to still have a backup blowoff tube setup?

Sure, for things like WY3068 or something. Otherwise, no.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:26:56 pm »
I connect my blow-off hose to the inner post of my 3-piece airlock.  I had to trash my last one after its first use as I couldn't get a couple yeast stains to remove even after soaking it in hot PBW for days.  Oh well, a new piece of hose is cheap and good insurance for a clean fermentation. 

As effective as fermcap is, I gave up using it over a year or so ago as I felt that when I used it in the fermenters that the beers simply did not maintain their head retention as well as I thought they should have.  Not that I had much to compare it to, just a personal bias. 

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:36:11 pm »
Another option I'm looking into is Fermcap-S. How effective is it?

Very.

Wouldn't it still be prudent to still have a backup blowoff tube setup?

Sure, for things like WY3068 or something. Otherwise, no.

True, but then you have Fermcap-S in your beer.
I'm in the camp that will use fermcap in starters but not during primary fermentation.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 02:39:15 pm »
I accidentally broke a plastic racking cane.  I decided to cut up the surviving pieces into ~3" tubes that I use to connect the blow-off tube and the carboy bung.  It was a simple solution to what used to be a constant problem for me.  When the tubing starts to look bad or I can't get it clean enough for my comfort I replace it.

Better temp control and less greedy fills of the carboy have made blow-off less of an issue for me.  Not completely gone but fewer monster blows.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »
Guilty of greedy fills myself...then I stepped to the next fermenter size up.  The corny kegs get filled, but the pail of sanitizer doesn't.  When tubes start to discolor, it's time to pitch them.  We put too much time and labor to allow a great beer be spoiled by being cheap and not replacing a blow off tube. 
Run then beer.