Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: malt character for pale ale  (Read 5436 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: malt character for pale ale
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 01:53:54 pm »
I like APA to have a tad more malt complexity, too. I still adjust the water chemistry to get a dry finish in APA. But AIPA is a different thing altogether - 2 row and a very small amount of C40 for me.

Jon, where are you at with that very small amount? 3%-5%, or even lower, just thinking of switching up for my next IPA

5-6% for APA, maybe 3-4% for AIPA lately - comes out gold/ deep yellow and dry like Blind Pig. Like the West Coast style a lot for its drinkability.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 01:54:49 pm »
I like APA to have a tad more malt complexity, too. I still adjust the water chemistry to get a dry finish in APA. But AIPA is a different thing altogether - 2 row and a very small amount of C40 for me.

Jon, where are you at with that very small amount? 3%-5%, or even lower, just thinking of switching up for my next IPA

5-6% for APA, maybe 3-4% for AIPA lately - comes out gold/ deep yellow and dry like Blind Pig. Like the West Coast style a lot for its drinkability.
Thanks again Jon
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 11:31:26 am »
Brewed this guy on Saturday. Everything went great and I am interested to see how it turns out. If I didn't back the munich and crystal off enough, I will continue to do so little by little on successive batches until it is to my liking. If nothing else, this will be me closer to my goal.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 11:34:55 am »
If I didn't back the munich and crystal off enough, I will continue to do so little by little on successive batches until it is to my liking. If nothing else, this will be me closer to my goal.

That's the best way to narrow down what you're after. I bet you'll like this version better !
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 11:40:25 am »
If I didn't back the munich and crystal off enough, I will continue to do so little by little on successive batches until it is to my liking. If nothing else, this will be me closer to my goal.

That's the best way to narrow down what you're after. I bet you'll like this version better !

Thanks! I ended up using equal amounts of Azacca and El Dorado for simplicity's sake. I believe you said the El Dorado is stronger so that may have been a misstep. Out of the bag, the Azacca seemed to have a much stronger aroma which I understand may not necessarily carry over.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:42:05 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 11:42:15 am »

Thanks! I ended up using equal amounts of Azacca and El Dorado for simplicity's sake. I believe you said the El Dorado is stronger so that may have been a misstep. Out of the bag, the Azacca seemed to have a much stronger aroma.

El Dorado is a little stronger, but it won't drown out the Azacca by any means. It'll be tasty.
Jon H.