Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mill Stand  (Read 2513 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Grain Mill Stand
« on: July 16, 2015, 08:04:51 am »
I know there are some handy folks on this forum who may be able to help me out with this. I came across this picture this morning and thought it would be a great stand for my mill. Can anyone eyeball this and give me a good estimate on the sizes of wood necessary to make this?

Would the piece that runs horizontally above the bucket be necessary as well? Thanks for any assistance!

*Please save the stainless steel screw jokes  ;D

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Grain Mill Stand
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 05:57:27 pm »
 Where's the picture?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 06:05:24 pm »
HAHA, here I was waiting on responses all day....

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grain Mill Stand
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 07:27:28 pm »
Looks like three 8 foot 2x4 and less than a half sheet of 3/4 ply.

Edit - can't guess the actual cut lengths. That looks like a figure out as you go type of project.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:30:12 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 07:47:36 pm »
Actually, I might extend the coverage to the top of the bucket. I used some reflectix to make a chute under my mill to keep the dust down a bit - it helps. If the exit from the mill isn't bound in some way - the dust really gets out of control. I also made a skirt out of a malt bag, but took it off - it helped keep the dust out, but really got in the way of pulling out the bucket. Some thin plywood will add some stiffness to your design and help to control the dust.

Now if you are out of stainless screws at this point... you might need a few more.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:16:42 pm »
Actually, I might extend the coverage to the top of the bucket. I used some reflectix to make a chute under my mill to keep the dust down a bit - it helps. If the exit from the mill isn't bound in some way - the dust really gets out of control. I also made a skirt out of a malt bag, but took it off - it helped keep the dust out, but really got in the way of pulling out the bucket. Some thin plywood will add some stiffness to your design and help to control the dust.

Now if you are out of stainless screws at this point... you might need a few more.

I agree with the dust issue. There's too much space from the mill to the bucket without some type of chute.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 05:06:21 am »
How much room do you have? When I built mine a grabbed a 6' blemished counter top from home depot and made a whole work bench with the mill mounted to it.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Grain Mill Stand
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 08:23:14 am »
Hell nothing fancy for sure but I just bought a section of shelving and cut it up to make this. Adjustable shelves and a Tupperware lid helped keep the bucket really close to the bottom of the grain mill. Dust is still an issue but just blow it off every now and then. Static seems to be a challenge every now and then and a bit of dust likes to stick to the bottom shelf but I just sweep it off into bucket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:25:14 am by quattlebaum »

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 08:51:10 am »
I cut a hole into a piece of painted plywood and attached the mill to the plywood, lining up the holes. The I just set the whole thing on a clean 33 gallon garbage can. No dust at all.