Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need help with water adjustment  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Need help with water adjustment
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:09:53 pm »
Every year for the past several I like to do an AG Oktoberfest. and every year i seem to fall short on malt character.Although last year i think i got pretty close. This go around I would like to experiment with perhaps tweaking my water. I have obtained a water report from Ward:
pH 7.7
Na 2
K 2
Ca 48
Mg 2
Total Hardness CaCO3 128
SO4 2
Cl 2
Biarbonate 138
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 113

Using Promash to calculate CaCO3 hardness, calcium went up slightly to 51.2, Bicarbs to 135, and pH calculated to 8.3. Does this sound correct?
And to do an Oktoberfest (actually shooting for a Festbier) wanted to adjust to Munich-type water. So I'm adjusting 6gal. mash water by adding:
.6grams Epsom salt
.6grams baking soda and
1.8grams CaCl2
Slightly less amounts to the sparge water.
So, a couple straightforward questions:
1) am I using the correct values in Promash for my water?
2) Is my target water (Munich) appropriate for the style and
3) Given the results from Ward, do you have any suggestions and/or should I even be tinkering with adding salts?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Need help with water adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »
You might look up Martin's adjusted Munich profile.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »

And to do an Oktoberfest (actually shooting for a Festbier) wanted to adjust to Munich-type water.

So, a couple straightforward questions:
1) am I using the correct values in Promash for my water?
2) Is my target water (Munich) appropriate for the style and
3) Given the results from Ward, do you have any suggestions and/or should I even be tinkering with adding salts?

No!! Don't emulate regional water profiles without understanding what those local brewers did to make it work with their brews. In the case of your water, it already has way too much alkalinity in the first place and your treatment will make it worse. Just acidifying the tap water and adding a minor amount of calcium chloride would be a major improvement. Lactic acid is required when brewing German styles to help add the proper nuance to the flavor.

Promash's calculator is only a mineral addition calculator. It has no capability to tell you what the effects of those additions are. For that, you have to employ a brewing water chemistry calculator like Bru'n Water.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:11:53 pm »
Pi,
Download Martin's spreadsheet and plug in your Wards water profile.  It will fit perfectly.  Play with the spreadsheet until you are familiar with it.  It works very well.  You will be surprised how much better your beer will be. 
AHA Member 900001775

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 03:52:33 pm »
Pi,
Download Martin's spreadsheet and plug in your Wards water profile.  It will fit perfectly.  Play with the spreadsheet until you are familiar with it.  It works very well.  You will be surprised how much better your beer will be. 

+1
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 04:23:40 pm »
+2.  My beers have made another leap forward since using the spreadsheet.  Thanks Martin!

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:34:59 am »
Ok, I have been playing around with the spreadsheet all weekend. i am starting to understand the relationship of different mineral additions/subtractions but i dont feel comfortable adjusting my water. Example, when i adjust my water to mimic the water in, Koln Bruin water says my water is way too alkaline. An when i add Lactic acid it throws my water. I'm confused. If German purity laws prohibit any water additions how do they lower the pH to acceptable levels? What am I missing?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 09:44:02 am »
They can add lactic acid if it is from "Natural" sources, so they have a lactic fermentation going in bio-reactors in some breweries making "Sauergut". Some breweries use acidulated malt, which just has Sauergut sprayed on it.

It turns out they can add gypsum and CaCl2 to the water only. They can also use RO filters.

Source was this talk. Looked at it over the weekend for something else. The water slides make a lot of sense now, saw it at Cincinnati.
http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/SteveHolle_GermanBrewing.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:56:09 am »
So if I use Bruin water as a guide, I should assume the historic brewing profiles on the water adjustment tab is the water in that region BEFORE the brewer has made any adjustments?

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:27:16 am »

So if I use Bruin water as a guide, I should assume the historic brewing profiles on the water adjustment tab is the water in that region BEFORE the brewer has made any adjustments?

I just go by style profile.  For example, "Amber Malty" or "Amber balanced."  The water profile usually comes out similar to the profile of a particular city that is known for a similar style of beer.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:36:51 am »
Ok, I have been playing around with the spreadsheet all weekend. i am starting to understand the relationship of different mineral additions/subtractions but i dont feel comfortable adjusting my water. Example, when i adjust my water to mimic the water in, Koln Bruin water says my water is way too alkaline. An when i add Lactic acid it throws my water. I'm confused. If German purity laws prohibit any water additions how do they lower the pH to acceptable levels? What am I missing?

I'll point out 2 things....don't go for a regional water profile.  Use a color/flavor profile.  And those German laws were about taxes, not beer purity.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 10:37:24 am »

Yes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 10:44:34 am »
I just go by style profile.  For example, "Amber Malty" or "Amber balanced." 

+1.  I use these as a starting point and adjust the salts up or down the next time depending on how I felt the beer came out.
Jon H.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 11:22:06 am »
"I see!", said the blind homebrewer.