Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh (green) Coriander Seeds?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
Fresh (green) Coriander Seeds?
« on: July 17, 2015, 04:06:46 pm »
Anyone ever tried fresh green coriander seeds in beer? I have several plants full of green seeds and they smell intense (in an awesome way) when crushed up in my fingers. Distinct lemony smell.

Brewing a gose tomorrow for which I bought some nice Indian coriander, but now I'm wondering if I should go fresh from the plants instead?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Fresh (green) Coriander Seeds?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:32:26 pm »
Anyone ever tried fresh green coriander seeds in beer? I have several plants full of green seeds and they smell intense (in an awesome way) when crushed up in my fingers. Distinct lemony smell.

Brewing a gose tomorrow for which I bought some nice Indian coriander, but now I'm wondering if I should go fresh from the plants instead?
I just walked over to my cilantro gone to seed and tasted the seeds. They taste more like the cilantro leaves than the spice coriander. Even though they are the same species I wonder if different cultivars are used for spice vs herb plus there is the drying process changing flavor. Long story short, no if you want the taste of coriander, yes its a worthy experiment if your feeling brave.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:47:09 pm »

I just walked over to my cilantro gone to seed and tasted the seeds. They taste more like the cilantro leaves than the spice coriander. Even though they are the same species I wonder if different cultivars are used for spice vs herb plus there is the drying process changing flavor. Long story short, no if you want the taste of coriander, yes its a worthy experiment if your feeling brave.

I just tried the same thing. I actually have some freshly sprouted cilantro to compare it to as well. They tasted different to me. The first impression of the green seed was slightly similar to cilantro and then I got hit with a rush of lemon flavor. Funny thing is I thought coriander was supposed to taste more like orange?

I have carefully planned out this recipe and I'm a little nervous about winging at this point -- although I kind of want to!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:18:23 am »

I just tried the same thing. I actually have some freshly sprouted cilantro to compare it to as well. They tasted different to me. The first impression of the green seed was slightly similar to cilantro and then I got hit with a rush of lemon flavor. Funny thing is I thought coriander was supposed to taste more like orange?

I have carefully planned out this recipe and I'm a little nervous about winging at this point -- although I kind of want to!
I tasted lemon too but don't get that with coriander seeds. I could see adding coriander in the boil then adding the green seeds, freshly crushed, post fermentation a la dry hopping. I think that would be the best way to get that fresh tart flavor and aroma. I do think your onto something, that is a nice flavor.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 06:44:29 am »
I found something last night that said don't use fresh green coriander because it is too intense. Not sure why you couldn't just use less than normal though.

I think while I have the fresh stuff available I'm going to pick a bunch, crush it a little, and then make up a tincture in vodka. Then I'll be able to play around a bit with it before committing to dropping it into a whole batch.

Thanks for your thoughts.