Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP644  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
WLP644
« on: April 02, 2016, 06:48:13 pm »
My favorite yeast by far for hoppy pale ales is WLP644...I used some of that Organic Citrus Yeast and it sucked...Any one else out there living on this yeast...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Ethan J

• 1st Kit
Re: WLP644
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 12:48:18 pm »
My coworker just had me taste an IPA that he made with Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, and Nelson Sauvin fermented out with 644. It was incredibly fruit forward, juicy, and tropical, I liked it and thought the 644 complimented the hops well. The only experience I have using it was with a cider which is not quite carbonated yet, but I don't think it brought much to the equation there, but it did finish it at 1.001, so it was happy to eat the sugar regardless.

My personal favorite for hop-forward beers is the Conan yeast. It really gets going around the 3rd or 4th generation in my experience. I ferment starting at 68 and ramp to 72 one degree per day over the course of 3-5 days (3 days for later generations, it will tear through wort). Absolutely love the stuff, very nice apricot and peachy stonefruit esters that play well with a lot of the newer hops but also gives a new twist to some of the classic combos, "C" hops in particular.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
Re: WLP644
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:06:56 pm »
I've had nice results with Conan also...maybe I should revisit...been a while...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski