Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Columbus hops smell like an electrical fire!  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: My Columbus hops smell like an electrical fire!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
Environmental residue or something perhaps?  Any industrial type plants in the neighborhood belching out exhaust that might be settling on the plants?  Live next to a busy highway/interstate?  Metal recycler in the area?

Pure SWAG, just trying to think of possibilities.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 11:59:50 am »
I checked my Goldings.  They do not smell of electrical fires.  I just noticed while bagging some of my Cascades that there was a faint electrical fire smell that I hadn't noticed in my earlier Cascade.  I made an IPA with my earlier-picked Cascade and it tastes great but not as intense as desired.

So I think that the electrical fire does not come from pollution, but may be due to terroir, farming skill (or lack thereof) and C hops.  Possibly late picking of hops intensifies the electrical fire taste but I wasn't looking for the electrical fire earlier in my Cascades.  I haven't ruled out the possibility that I am perceiving C hops in a way that is somewhat unique; I'll have to dry hop one gallon of beer and try it on other homebrewers.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 08:19:57 am »
Update:  I recently bought some Warrior hops.  They smell like an electrical fire to me too.  I can see why Warrior is used for bittering and not aroma.

Does anybody get else get electrical fire from Warrior?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 08:22:29 am »
I only use Warrior for bittering, but I've never had that experience with them.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 01:43:51 pm »
I am beginning to think your sense of smell is going.... ;D

No seriously, I was I going to suggest as stated above, that a good proper flushing with just straight water (no chemicals/fertilizers) might be in order several waterings prior to picking.  This will help to flush out any residual chemical aroma/flavor and "clean" things up a bit.