Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 10 days to exam  (Read 4280 times)

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
Re: 10 days to exam
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 04:52:08 pm »
So this morning I was issued BJCP ID #.  Hard to interpret cause it says my rank is still Provisional, with Rank Pending. 

But the BJCP site says Provisional Judge: someone who has passed the Entrance Exam, but not yet taken the Judging Exam. A Provisional Judge is not yet a BJCP member, and does not have a BJCP ID. Provisional is not a BJCP judge rank.

Can this be interpreted as a passing grade?

EDIT:  Never mind, could be apprentice
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:55:56 pm by kernelcrush »

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 08:21:37 am »
It means you're Rank Pending.  Provisional is someone who has passed the Online, but not taken the Tasting.  If you have taken the Tasting, but it hasn't been scored yet, you're Rank Pending.  Once your score is done, you will either be Apprentice, Recognized, or Certified depending on your score and judging points.  Below 60 is Apprentice and you'll need to take the Tasting test again (with the Online screening through people though, this is rare).  Score between 60 and 70 and you're Recognized.  Score 70 or higher and have at least 5 judging points and you're Certified.  If you score at least 80 or higher on the Tasting and get 10 judging points, you can register to take the Written test to advance to National or Master (with the appropriate scores and points).

Turnaround on getting your ID from Tasting exam is typically relatively quick (usually within a few weeks of the exam).  It basically means that your exam set has arrived at the AHA has been scanned and uploaded into the BJCP system for the grading team (although not the same organization, this part is a cooperative effort since the AHA benefits from helping the BJCP out on the logistics).

Turnaround on scores varies a lot at the moment.  Target is around 12 weeks (3 months), but you typically don't hear of that target being hit or exceeded, so there's no certainty about how often they hit it.  The only thing the average judge or examinee hears is about the ones that take longer.  Both of mine took between 5 and 6 months.  Your best bet is to be patient and wait between 3-4 months for your score.  Judge as much as you can, and build up points.  I jumped from Rank Pending to Certified right when I got my scores since I already had the 5 judging points needed.

If you haven't received your scores after 4 months, your best bet is to send the Exam Admin who gave your Tasting and see if he's heard anything.  He will have the contact information for the ED that's in charge of grading your exam set (there are typically two graders, an AED, and an ED for each set) and can hit them up.  It's generally better to do it that way because the other examinees are probably asking too and the Admin can keep it from being 12 different people trying to hit up the ED.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 10:08:07 am »
So this morning I was issued BJCP ID #.  Hard to interpret cause it says my rank is still Provisional, with Rank Pending. 

But the BJCP site says Provisional Judge: someone who has passed the Entrance Exam, but not yet taken the Judging Exam. A Provisional Judge is not yet a BJCP member, and does not have a BJCP ID. Provisional is not a BJCP judge rank.

Can this be interpreted as a passing grade?

EDIT:  Never mind, could be apprentice

unfortunately at less than two months from your exam date, it is very likely not done.  From what you've said previously though, you do not have any worries re: passing the exam. 

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 11:06:38 am »
Thanks Toby.  There's a lot of outdated (and new) info on all this on BJCP.org.  Makes it confusing to separate the two,  Thanks for the explanation.  I'm only at about 7 weeks from my tasting exam date and was surprised to get any info so quickly, didn't realize that assigning an ID was an intermediate step.

Thanks for the vote of confidence udubdawg.  I was able to review what I wrote in my scoresheets for the first time since the exam now that they posted them on the BJCP site. Easy to have doubts

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 12:05:08 pm »
From what I've seen, 7 weeks to get your ID is slightly long, but with NHC, that's not surprising.  At leash NHC is over now, so hopefully things will start picking up speed for you.

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 03:01:13 am »
Thanks guys for your help.  77.  Scoring accuracy was erratic/apprentice across all beers, master for completeness, certified or national for other categories.  I need to start judging with someone who actually knows how to taste.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 04:28:04 am »
Thanks guys for your help.  77.  Scoring accuracy was erratic/apprentice across all beers, master for completeness, certified or national for other categories.  I need to start judging with someone who actually knows how to taste.
Congrats! Dont be sad about being Certified. All of the best judges are certified. It means you know your stuff, but also are an independent thinker ;-)

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 05:16:50 am »
Thank you Jim.  I was hoping they would post the Proctor's sheets for comparison to your own to see where you went wrong. 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 08:03:46 am »
Thank you Jim.  I was hoping they would post the Proctor's sheets for comparison to your own to see where you went wrong.
I would email the lead grader and see if they'll share some advice. They don't usually share proctors scoresheets, and I think those would be less helpful than you'd expect. It's really based on the proctors, admin's notes on the beers, and a consensus of the examinees too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 06:23:04 pm »
77 with only 10 days of study is pretty darn good. Judge at some comps, get the lingo down and you'll easily get the score you are after.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 06:36:00 pm »
There's also nothing wrong with being content with Certified.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 11:02:19 am »
I've been offered a seat in an exam taking place in 10 days.

a bit off topic, but I'd like to offer up thanks to a fast grading team.  I wish we could return all of them this quickly.

nice job OP.  I told you there were no worries with passing...

cheers--
--Michael

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 04:23:44 pm »
I wasn't really expecting anything till the Fall sometime.  Nice surprise, thanks for the encouragement!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 12:16:29 am »
Congrats on getting a 77 first time out!  Like Mike Dixon said, a bit of judging experience and you'll likely hit your goal. My score improved dramatically after about a year of judging experience.

Also, grader and admin instructions require that proctor sheets must not be copied and distributed.
There is a lot that goes into grading an exam set, and there is more to it than what is on the proctors' sheets.  As stated, the exam admin supplies his/her notes, and the write-ups from ALL examinees are used to help determine the scoring rubric. 

Instead, I suggest you go to the BJCP site and read all of the Grader's Training materials.  Even as a new judge, it is very valuable to see first hand the what the graders are looking for.  I highly recommend it.

http://www.bjcp.org/examcenter.php
In particular, these documents are available from there:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/LeadGrading.pdf
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Scoring_Guide.pdf
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BJCP_Scoresheet_Guide.pdf
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Grading_Scoresheets.doc

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2015, 03:18:53 am »
Thank you for the links santoch.  Was hoping to crack 80 but am happy anyway, despite my scoring inability.  I never did come across any docs that described how to give/take points.