Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oregon Brew Crew's 14th Annual Fall Classic Homebrew Competition  (Read 3362 times)

Offline jimpdx

• 1st Kit
  • "Funk is its own reward"
Dear fellow AHA members,

I am excited to tell you about this great competition coming up in a few months here in Portland, OR. I may be biased, but this is my favorite event (probably because it was the FIRST competition I submitted to). We are still finalizing some amazing sponsors and prizes but trust me, you won't want to miss out! If you are local to the Pacific Northwest, we are always looking for judges and stewards as well.

The Oregon Brew Crew's 14th Annual Fall Classic Competition
October 24, 2015

Entries due THURSDAY October 15, 2015

Event Website
http://oregonbrewcrew.org/fallclassic

Event Location
13 Virtues Brewing Company
6410 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland, OR 97202

Entry Categories
All BJCP recognized categories (23 beer, 3 mead, 2 cider) are eligible for entry into this competition.

Special Categories
Fresh Hop category: these entries must be made entirely from fresh/wet hops harvested from the current hop crop. Hops can be commercially obtained or homegrown. Please specify the hop varieties used and the base style of the beer for the judges to consider. Judging will be based on the fresh hop character present and how well they are integrated with the declared base style.

Best New Homebrewer: these entries must be a homebrewers first EVER entry into ANY homebrew competition. Please write "THIS IS MY FIRST COMPETITION" on the top of your bottle ID tags. Winner will be best overall SCORING entry from a new homebrewer.

Entry & Judge Registration
You can register and pay for entries ($7 each) and register to judge or steward online on Monday, July 27th!
Thank you for your interest in the Fall Classic, the Oregon Brew Crew's yearly AHA/BJCP sanctioned homebrew competition held after hop harvest.

Any comments or questions may be directed to competition@oregonbrewcrew.org
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:36:53 pm by jimpdx »
Jim Thompson - Alberta Brewing Company
Oregon Brew Crew - Board Member and Competition Chair
https://facebook.com/albertabrewingco
https://untappd.com/albertabrewing
https://untappd.com/jimpdx

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Oregon Brew Crew's 14th Annual Fall Classic Homebrew Competition
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:22:40 pm »
Thanks for heads up. I'll be looking at my schedule

Offline toninho75

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 11:34:19 am »
ok.thank you

Offline jimpdx

• 1st Kit
  • "Funk is its own reward"
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:15:35 am »
Registration is now available at http://fallclassic2015.oregonbrewcrew.org/. You may list your entries beginning August 1st. Hope to see lots of entries!
Jim Thompson - Alberta Brewing Company
Oregon Brew Crew - Board Member and Competition Chair
https://facebook.com/albertabrewingco
https://untappd.com/albertabrewing
https://untappd.com/jimpdx

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:56:28 am »
Bring it on folks!
This is a fun comp to judge, and a great one to enter as well if you really want to get an idea of where  you stand amongst your peers outside of NHC.  Let's see what you've got!
Join us to judge if you can!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »
Signed up to judge, signed up wife to steward. Suggestions for a clean hotel close by? Better yet, a place to park an RV?

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:00:52 pm »
This sounds like a fun one -  I'm going to try to go if I can.

That reminds me that we used to have a "comp" up in the Seattle area called Homebrewfair.  It was very different from most compeittions.  The judges would be handed an entry and they'd judge it while the entrant sat in the other room. After the judges judged the beer, the entrant would come in and they'd all go over the beer and the sheets together.  It was a great learning experience for both the judges and the entrants.

I think I might talk to a few folks to resurrect this.

Steve
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:07:58 pm »

That reminds me that we used to have a "comp" up in the Seattle area called Homebrewfair.  It was very different from most compeittions.  The judges would be handed an entry and they'd judge it while the entrant sat in the other room. After the judges judged the beer, the entrant would come in and they'd all go over the beer and the sheets together.  It was a great learning experience for both the judges and the entrants.

Steve

That sounds like a really cool format, Steve.  You should definitely come check out the Fall Classic!
We actually met last spring at the Cascade Cup, I got to judge with you and a young protégé.
Good to see you around here!

Steve
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 05:16:35 pm »

Steve
Hey that would be cool. I hope we see you in Portland

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:27:11 pm »

Steve

That sounds like a really cool format, Steve.  You should definitely come check out the Fall Classic!
We actually met last spring at the Cascade Cup, I got to judge with you and a young protégé.

Steve

Yes, Steve, I remember it well.  It was at PostDoc -- Tom Schmidlin's new brewery.
It was great judging with you.  Hope to see you there in Portland.

You planning on going to the PNWHC in Vancouver, WA in the spring?
I just registered to give a couple judging related talks.  We'll see if they get accepted.  Should be fun, like a mini-NHC.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 12:32:46 am »

Steve

Steve

Yes, Steve, I remember it well.  It was at PostDoc -- Tom Schmidlin's new brewery.

I just registered to give a couple judging related talks.  We'll see if they get accepted.  Should be fun, like a mini-NHC.
More on PNWHC ?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 08:21:25 am »

Steve

Steve

Absolutely, I'll be there. An Oregon Brew Crew guy is really spearheading the effort. I'm really excited to see how it turns out and hope its something the local clubs can collaborate on to develop.  Glad to hear you'll likely be presenting!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:23 am »
More on PNWHC ?

Jim- this is all I'm finding at the moment...
http://www.pnwhc.com/content/mailing-list-signup
I'll speak with the organizer next week and keep you posted as things develop.
Unfortunately, I'm not terribly up to date on Portland accommodations but  I always enjoy staying at the McMennamin's properties. Check out Edgefield (Troutdale) and the Crystal Hotel (Downtown) I'm clueless on where one would put an RV. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 04:21:07 pm »
Ok thanks

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 04:15:14 pm »
Hey Guys and Gals,

Right now with the pace of entries coming in this is looking to be a pretty huge competition (400+ entries) so THANKS to all who have entered and keep those entries coming! If you're still interested in Judging or Stewarding or perhaps on the fence about whether you should or not, we always have room for more and we could use some more help! Big thanks to those who have already registered, we have a decent list, but the more we have the easier and faster day it will be for all involved. We have two judging sessions, one on Friday night and one on Saturday October 23-24.  There will be food provided for judges both days, coffee and doughnuts and whatnot on Saturday morning and a huge judges raffle with lots of prizes.  This is a fun event and 13 Virtues was a great host last year and they were very excited to host us again. 

Thanks again and see ya in a couple weeks!
Cheers!
Eric H.
Fall Classic Committee
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year