Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lacto. Frustrations  (Read 4875 times)

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
Re: Lacto. Frustrations
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 04:51:29 pm »
Yes, I followed those instructions exactly. Someone else on the forum (probably you) told me the same thing in my gose thread, so I felt comfortable following that plan and it worked perfectly for the starter.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2015, 05:44:28 am »
Well the Omega strain took my 6 gallons of wort to pH 3.1 in just about 16.5 hours.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 05:52:12 am »
Well the Omega strain took my 6 gallons of wort to pH 3.1 in just about 16.5 hours.
I read a while back, I think on milk the funk, that brewers were using these probiotics to sour beers. I guess I'm just a bit freaked out by it. Makes me wonder how low they would eventually go. I understand the need for speed, but its not my need. Ive got time. I wonder sometimes if american sours are going to follow the IPA trend by going sourer and sourer.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 06:04:49 am »
I read a while back, I think on milk the funk, that brewers were using these probiotics to sour beers. I guess I'm just a bit freaked out by it. Makes me wonder how low they would eventually go. I understand the need for speed, but its not my need. Ive got time. I wonder sometimes if american sours are going to follow the IPA trend by going sourer and sourer.

This still has to ferment with yeast so I probably need to add some alkalinity in the boil to bring the pH back to 3.6 or so. Doing some research right now.

But anyway I chose this blend for a bunch of reasons and speed wasn't really the primary reason.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 07:11:46 am »

This still has to ferment with yeast so I probably need to add some alkalinity in the boil to bring the pH back to 3.6 or so. Doing some research right now.

But anyway I chose this blend for a bunch of reasons and speed wasn't really the primary reason.
Hopefully I didn't come off too snobby, I was more meaning to admit that I'm a bit of a scardy cat about using probiotics for souring. The snobbery part was more aimed at my imagining that some american sours seem to be shooting for max sourness kind of in the same way the 100+ IBU beers went. Thats fine and all, but I think there's something to be said about everything in its place, complexity, balance, and that certain I dont know what.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 07:52:16 am »

Hopefully I didn't come off too snobby, I was more meaning to admit that I'm a bit of a scardy cat about using probiotics for souring. The snobbery part was more aimed at my imagining that some american sours seem to be shooting for max sourness kind of in the same way the 100+ IBU beers went. Thats fine and all, but I think there's something to be said about everything in its place, complexity, balance, and that certain I dont know what.

No, not at all.

But I used the Omega Labs blend and I'm not sure it's even a probiotic. There are two lacto strains in it, one is kind of traditional for souring beers and the other was isolated from pitching grain.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 10:39:39 am »
Just an update...gave up on my poor starter last week but it's been sitting in my (hot) garage for a week. Noticed yesterday there is a big white furry thing on the surface. I'm dumping this anyways but curious what it is.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 01:17:32 pm »
If it is furry it is most likely mold.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 03:57:10 pm »
Just an update...gave up on my poor starter last week but it's been sitting in my (hot) garage for a week. Noticed yesterday there is a big white furry thing on the surface. I'm dumping this anyways but curious what it is.

A pellicle if the wort soured or mold if it didn't.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 04:07:06 pm »

Not all of those probiotics are the same. Right now I have some l. acidophilus from pills I bought at a local health food store that is sluggish. It took about three days to stop souring around 100F and it cut out at 3.6.

Beer can only get so sour before the bacteria will create enough acid to knock themselves out. The race to get quick souring isn't about getting the wort more sour but about production speed. That's helpful for kettle sours and other early lacto fermentations.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 04:07:50 pm »
Thats a tribble

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »

No, not at all.

But I used the Omega Labs blend and I'm not sure it's even a probiotic. There are two lacto strains in it, one is kind of traditional for souring beers and the other was isolated from pitching grain.
This is what I was talking about. Brewers are cutting open these capsules and pitching the contents to wort. Quick and super low souring.

Offline brewday

• Brewer

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 06:05:14 pm »

No, not at all.

This is what I was talking about. Brewers are cutting open these capsules and pitching the contents to wort. Quick and super low souring.

Ahhh I see the confusion.

But nope I was talking about Omega Yeast Labs per the link that brewday just provided.