Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Chilling  (Read 2342 times)

Offline robertj235

• 1st Kit
Wort Chilling
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »
Regarding cooling the wort. Living in S. Florida, my tap water runs at about 82 (f). An immersion chiller would take a very long time and not get down to pitching temp. This would be costly water wise as well.
I've used chilled spring water as well as a 10 lb bag of ice.  Regardless, it just takes a great deal of time.  Any ideas on a cost effective way to cool the wort?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Wort Chilling
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:59:06 pm »
Regarding cooling the wort. Living in S. Florida, my tap water runs at about 82 (f). An immersion chiller would take a very long time and not get down to pitching temp. This would be costly water wise as well.
I've used chilled spring water as well as a 10 lb bag of ice.  Regardless, it just takes a great deal of time.  Any ideas on a cost effective way to cool the wort?

one option: pick up recirculation pump and you can use cooler with ice and water to run through your wort chiller.

this is one i picked up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X05G1A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:03:10 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 05:19:58 pm »
I chill with well water until the wort gets under 100F then run it from the kettle though 20 feet of copper tubing in an ice water bath to the fermenter.  It helps to keep the tubing moving or the ice bath recirculating.  You can control the temperature pretty well by controlling the flow of wort.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Wort Chilling
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 05:52:33 pm »

Fellow Florida brewer here, isn't summer brewing fun? (sarcasm) How are you controlling fermentation temps? In my case, I get it down to around 80.  that point, there isn't a lot of risk of infection. Simply move the wort into your house and pitch in the morning, or throw it into your chest freezer to chill.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:41:48 am by flbrewer »

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:29:37 am »

Fellow Florida brewer here, isn't summer brewing fun? (sarcasm) How are you fermenting the wort? In my case, I get it down to around 80. At that point, there isn't a lot of risk of infection. Simply move the wort into your house and pitch in the morning, or throw it into your fermenter to chill.

+1 to this.

TX brewer here and groundwater isn't much cooler. I get it down to 75-80, put some sanitized foil over the fermentor, move to fermentation chamber and pitch the next morning. Never had a problem with infection.

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:17:29 am »
Before moving to a plate chiller, I ran two 50' copper coils - one in the wort and one in a big bucket of ice and water. I'd hook up the garden hose and start with just water in that big bucket, and run the hose until temps got below 100 F, then I'd add bags of ice to the bucket and take it the rest of the way down. I've gotten the wort down to 58 F in less than 15 minutes in July here in Georgia with the ground water measuring in the upper 70's to the low 80's. For a 5-gallon batch, I could blow through two 20 Lb bags of ice on the hottest of days but heck; it worked!
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:25:30 am »
I chill with well water until the wort gets under 100F then run it from the kettle though 20 feet of copper tubing in an ice water bath to the fermenter.  It helps to keep the tubing moving or the ice bath recirculating.  You can control the temperature pretty well by controlling the flow of wort.
That is a nice technique. Do you run the boiling wort through to sanitize? Just flush with water to clean?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:00:32 am »
I have been able to cut my chilling time in half with a smaller second immersion used as a pre-chiller. Tap water goes to the prechiller in in a bucket of ice water then to my main chiller in the kettle.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 10:46:23 am »
A cheap and easy solution if you can't or don't want to spend much more money is a chilling wand. I put mine in the wort with my immersion chiller. I also use it to cool down a mash that is too high.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 11:13:32 am »
To Pete B:

What is a chilling wand?

Thanks
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 11:20:04 am »
To Pete B:

What is a chilling wand?

Thanks
This: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/san-jamar-rcu1282-rapi-kool-174-128-oz-rapid-cooling-paddle-2-pack/712RCU1282.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CN2utYSU6sYCFc6PHwoduwQDTQ
They are made of food grade plastic and designed to have a lot of surface area. You fill with water and freeze. The foodservice industry uses them to quickly get hot food down below safe temperatures fast. Before I had an immersion chiller I used one plus ice baths in the sink to cool wort. Now I use it in conjunction with the wort chiller.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 11:37:06 am »
That is a nice technique. Do you run the boiling wort through to sanitize? Just flush with water to clean?

I sanitize the chiller first, then run the hot wort through it back to the kettle at an angle to create a whirlpool.  After chilling I pump sanitizer through it during the rest of the clean-up.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »
To Pete B. 

Thanks for the info.  I have used bottled water that was frozen with the outside dunked in sanitizer before immersion into the cooling wort.  Same principle as bottle wand, but not as much surface area.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 12:26:32 pm »

I sanitize the chiller first, then run the hot wort through it back to the kettle at an angle to create a whirlpool.  After chilling I pump sanitizer through it during the rest of the clean-up.

Might have to try that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 07:23:28 am »
To Pete B. 

Thanks for the info.  I have used bottled water that was frozen with the outside dunked in sanitizer before immersion into the cooling wort.  Same principle as bottle wand, but not as much surface area.

I have a half dozen orange juice bottles that I use this way (filled about 90% with water). They're about 2 quarts or so in volume, so I can drop two in my fermentation bucket once I get the wort down to maybe 80 or so. I use the same ones in my "swamp cooler" to keep fermentation temps down.