Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sweet IPA  (Read 3721 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sweet IPA
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 12:56:17 pm »
I don't believe you can brew an all-malt 9.5% beer that is dry.  It would need a little sugar to cut the malt down.

Excellent point!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 06:41:36 pm »
I don't believe you can brew an all-malt 9.5% beer that is dry.  It would need a little sugar to cut the malt down.

I feel the same way. especially if you are adding crystal malt. If I use crystal malt with an IPA style beer I usually sub an equal percentage, or more, of sugar (for the base malt) to make sure the beer stays dry.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 06:49:00 pm »
If I use crystal malt with an IPA style beer I usually sub an equal percentage, or more, of sugar (for the base malt) to make sure the beer stays dry.

Same here, especially in IIPA. Not making as many of those anymore though. With AIPA I can have a few more each time, so the hop character is fresher by the time the keg kicks.
Jon H.

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 06:57:20 am »
Thanks good advise.

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 04:45:58 pm »
Grain Bill ( might be the problem)
14 lb 2 row
4 lb Pale Malt
2 lb Munich Malt 10L
.5 lb Cara amber 30L
.5 lb Honey

Do you think the munich is a little to much?

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »
Better stick to recipe's, on the fly grain bill is not working! I guess I get East coast instead of West coast. Thanks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 05:02:07 pm »
Yeah, personally I'd drop the Munich for AIPA. I sometimes use a bit in APA, but I prefer a simple base for the hops to shine in IPA.
Jon H.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Sweet IPA
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 10:46:38 pm »
14 lb 2 row
4 lb Pale Malt
2 lb Munich Malt 10L
.5 lb Cara amber 30L
.5 lb Honey

I normally treat Munich malt as a base malt but in an IPA it's a specialty malt- especially at 2 pounds. Combine that with the other malts you have that makes 3 pounds of specialty malt. I try to stick to 90% base malt and 10% specialty malt. I do not go above Crystal 20 for my specialty malt. For a double IPAA I would keep it at Crystal 10. Based off your original gravity and Final gravity it appears you had over 85% attenuation. Pitching the proper amount of yeast does not appear to be a problem. What I like to know is what strain of east did you use for a double IPA I would stick with the Chico strain wyeast 1056 or white labs 001. I have found that even the American ale 2 ,wyeast 1272, subdues the hop flavor.

Edit:  as others have mentioned I would consider adding some simple sugar. You did this by adding a half pound of honey but I would increase it to 1 pound of table sugar and add it gradually after primary fermentation is starting to slow down. With a beer bordering on 10% ABVI would wait until about date three fermentation and add about a quarter or one third of a pound of granulated table sugar to the fermentation vessel at a time until you get about a pound of sugar in the vessel.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:54:12 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 06:53:10 am »
So I was wrong looking at my notes here it is.
Mash at 148* for 75
RO water with
3.6 G Gypsum
1.2 Salt
6.5 Epsom
4.45 Baking
8.1 Chalk
No acid

OG = 1.084
FG = 1.012

Tried again today just to malty and sweet tasting. maybe because its 9.5%? Disappointed was wanting something dry and hoppy!
Alcohol will enhance the perception of sweetness, but I'm wondering about those additions.  Why were you targeting such a high alkalinity (is that 4.45g of baking soda and 8.1g of chalk)?  I guess, granted, the chalk really doesn't dissolve well so might not have made much difference, but I'm not sure what you were going for by adding it.  Same with 'salt' (as in table salt?).

this! that is a lot of minerals.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 07:19:07 am »
this! that is a lot of minerals.

+2.  With that grist, RO water shouldn't need baking soda or chalk.
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 09:03:54 am »
14 lb 2 row
4 lb Pale Malt
2 lb Munich Malt 10L
.5 lb Cara amber 30L
.5 lb Honey

If you're going for a west coast IPA, the Munich and the honey should be dropped.  Sub in more 2 row to hit your target OG and sub sugar instead of honey.  Honey is a bit less fermentable so you may get some perceived residual sweetness from it.