Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked oats in IPA  (Read 26797 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Flaked oats in IPA
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 01:08:54 pm »
Are you sure that came from the flaked barley?  Ive used it on a number of accassions and never had that flavor.

+1.  I use it pale beers sometimes at ~ 2% and don't notice that. But I would hesitate to use more in a pale beer. Now stout or brown ale, that's another story.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 08:06:37 pm »
I tried flaked barley in an APA and will never use it again in a pale beer. I get a raw, grassy flavor from it that I just didn't care for.

Are you sure that came from the flaked barley?  Ive used it on a number of accassions and never had that flavor.
I'm pretty sure. I was trying to add body to a session beer, and added about 5% flaked barley to my existing recipe. I never got that flavor in any previous versions of the beer, just the one with flaked barley.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 11:21:05 am »

I tried flaked barley in an APA and will never use it again in a pale beer. I get a raw, grassy flavor from it that I just didn't care for.

I experimented extensively with flaked barley in pale beers and can confirm that it does produce an undesirable raw flavor that does not meld with pale beers. I think it works in roasty beers because the roast flavor overwhelms everything else from the raw barley.

I know that Lewis mentions in his book on Stout that oats in a stout produced a poor, astringent flavor. I don't understand why he found that, but I guess its possible. To me, it seems that oats are just another cereal grain and should produce a similar result. But maybe there is some other compound in oats that tastes worse than other grains????

When it comes to body building in beers, I've settled on using flaked wheat. I find that its flavor is fairly complimentary and only a percent or two adds a huge amount of head building capability in my beers.

By the way, raw barley has 10 times more beta-glucan than raw wheat, so I guess that using a much lower quantity of flaked barley might work effectively without flavor effects. I just never got that low.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 11:23:12 am »
For once in my life, I pretty much agree with Lewis.  I have never found oats to give me the purported body and foam that others report.  I seem to get thin, astringent beer when I use them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 07:12:34 pm »

For once in my life, I pretty much agree with Lewis.  I have never found oats to give me the purported body and foam that others report.  I seem to get thin, astringent beer when I use them.

Once I made a Scottish ale without specialty malts. This resulted in blond beer with 5% flaked oats. Result was more body. I did not detect any negative effects. And let me tell you. People LOVED it. All 15 BBLs of it.

May be this is due flake barley brand or pH of mash.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com