Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: color of Susan  (Read 3293 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: color of Susan
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 10:06:31 am »
So if I understand you folks correctly the method to obtain this hazy orange color consists of two steps:
1. a combination of something like c40 and some unmalted non-barley.
2. photoshopping.
Carastan or C40 (I tend to use Carastan because it's slightly lighter ~37L) will give you a pretty close to orange hue.  Hop or yeast matter in suspension is typically where the haze comes from, but other proteins could do it too.  Photoshop just helps enhance the lighting effects.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 03:00:42 pm »
In searching the original photo and carefully looking over the photograph, without brewing technique or recipes being known or analyzed, this was photo shopped or altered with another app. the saturation and contrast were adjusted as well as the depth of field as it is quite exaggerated and off centered, both normally done post processing. It is a great picture though, albeit doctored a bit to clean it up.

It's amazing how well you can make something look with a free app or expensive software:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 06:28:34 pm »
Here is a recipe that will get you that color.  The main reason it looks so bright like that is the setting sun coming at the glass cross ways.  Heavy dry hopping and late hopping.  Protein and some yeast in suspension.  It can be done for sure though.... as both of these are beers I brewed. Same beer except the one slightly darker is 2-3% caramel 40 and the one slightly lighter is 2-3% caramel 20.  Both used conan yeast.  Both bittered with .75 ounces of warrior and then 2x3oz. of citra at flameout and in a hopstand.  2x3oz. citra in 2 different dry hop additions.

41% Rahr 2 Row
41% Golden Promise (or Maris Otter)
8% Flaked Oats
4% Flaked Barley
2% Flaked Wheat
2.5% Caramel 20 OR 2.5% Caramel 40

*If anyone is trying to make something like this an wants exact recipe I used, water profile, etc..... I would be happy to e-mail it to you from my iBrewMaster app.  It has become my favorite APA/IPA (5.5%abv).  Citra Hop Explosion. Soft, full mouthfeel.

No photoshop.  No Flash.  Just pour, set in sun, take picture with iPad.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:32:40 pm by braufessor »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 06:23:40 pm »
Is anyone else wondering how skunky those beers were after their photo op?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 06:17:49 am »
Is anyone else wondering how skunky those beers were after their photo op?

HA...  I made it fast.  It was for "demonstration purposes" and I made sure to take the picture really quick so they were ok:)

My wife even got on my case....."Why do you always tell me to take my beer out of the sun and now you are putting it in the sun on purpose?"  :o

I am normally a psycho for not setting my beer in the sun when we are outside - especially hoppy beers.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 04:39:42 pm »
I was barbecuing once and set my beer in the sun…not thirty seconds later and it was almost undrinkable.

I've been more than paranoid about sunlight since then. If the wife and I are eating at an outdoor restaurant I'll even pick a seat that's in the sun if it means my beer is in the shade.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 05:16:25 am »
I actually had problems with my Belgian wit turning an orange color for a while. It was mostly the yeast in suspension. But I also suspected it was the toasted flaked rye I was using. The other ingredients were pils and wheat.