Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: $69 kegs  (Read 6094 times)

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
Re: $69 kegs
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 06:29:04 pm »
The AEB kegs (italian made) are really good quality too, I have three of them. They cost more than $69 though.
Twice the price. Certainly higher quality, but I don't know if it is worth it to me.

I would agree with you on that, the higher price is an issue. For awhile they were the only ones available but now that there are other options available the price is definitely a negative factor.
I have no qualms with the Chinese manufacturers. The quality is good and the price is right.

“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 08:36:29 pm »
Given the vomitus mass I clean out of a set of EBay used kegs today, and the violent dry heaves while hosing that crap into oblivion... I wish I had waited and bought these. Corpses rotting under curdled milk smelled better. Let's hope 20 gallons of strong PBW removes that smell.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline WortNerve

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 06:56:30 am »
I have four of these exact kegs. Two do not have the NSF seal and two do. I have run several batches of beer through them all without any problems. I would definitely recommend them.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 09:53:02 am »
Visions come to mind of the German Engineer that sat next to my desk always shaking his head about Italian Engineering. So there is that I have to contend with.

Italian Engineering:

My first car was a 1976 Fiat.  The old joke was: What's the difference between herpes and a Fiat?  You can give someone herpes.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 10:04:00 am »
I have been using 2 Chinese kegs for 2 1/2 years with absolutely NO issues with either one. I just got a couple of kegs made in India I have been having nothing but problems with the one that I tried first. I am afraid to try the second one.

I have a keg from India, and it's been great (was thinking about getting another).  What issues have you been having?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 01:36:10 pm »
Visions come to mind of the German Engineer that sat next to my desk always shaking his head about Italian Engineering. So there is that I have to contend with.

Italian Engineering:

My first car was a 1976 Fiat.  The old joke was: What's the difference between herpes and a Fiat?  You can give someone herpes.

Another old joke-FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tony.
~ George Gobel

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 01:40:34 pm »
Another old joke-FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tony.

Yep.  But the best joke is I sold that car 20 years later for $50 less than I paid for it.  And it was not running when I sold it.

Back to the topic, I'd buy these kegs in a heart beat if I needed more kegs.  But I have plenty.  If new 3-gallon kegs hit the $70 price point, I'll buy a couple of those.

While I wouldn't want rust on a new keg, you can re passivate stainless steel pretty easily.  Probably less work than I've put into reconditioning some kegs, and I've never had any that brought on dry heaves.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 01:50:07 pm »
He normally has the 2.5 gallon kegs for 75. I've been meaning to get some for a while. I swear every time I am ready to pull the trigger, he sells out.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 01:53:43 pm »
Don't tell me that.  I placed an order for odds and ends yesterday and almost threw in a four pack of the 3 gallon pin-locks.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 06:54:44 pm »
I have been using 2 Chinese kegs for 2 1/2 years with absolutely NO issues with either one. I just got a couple of kegs made in India I have been having nothing but problems with the one that I tried first. I am afraid to try the second one.

I have a keg from India, and it's been great (was thinking about getting another).  What issues have you been having?

Read the other thread I started on this forum called "out of ideas"
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

narvin

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 07:08:35 pm »
China is the world's leading steel producer, including stainless.  If you don't think that your car, kitchen pots, etc use Chinese steel, you're kidding yourself.

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »
China is the world's leading steel producer, including stainless.  If you don't think that your car, kitchen pots, etc use Chinese steel, you're kidding yourself.

Yeah, this^
~ George Gobel

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
$69 kegs
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 12:01:22 am »

Yeah, this^

I have nothing against products just because they are made in China.  My TV and laptop were made in China.  I'm not kidding myself.  I personally know homebrewers and professional brewers that have poorly made Chinese SS vessels and kegs that either rust, break or are incompatible with other equipment.  That is why I have some reservations.  That said, it appears from the comments on this thread, and those on the AiH site, that these particular Chinese made kegs are sound.  I will strongly consider buying these kegs the next time they go on sale.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 10:45:55 am »

Read the other thread I started on this forum called "out of ideas"

Got it.

My made in India keg is the same diameter as my other (old school, very used) cornies, and the opening is the same size as well.  I wonder if yours is different than mine or if it's just different from your made in China kegs.

Regarding your troubles with the disconnect, is it possible that the spring on the universal poppet has too much tension and that the opening into the disconnect is too restricted for a good flow?  My Indian keg is the first time I've dealt with the universal poppets, and my experience has been that they are stiffer than the regular "type B" poppet valves.  I've heard of other people trimming the spring down a bit (though I didn't find it necessary). 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 01:54:11 pm »
I bought new fully assembled posts and tried them out on it. Problem not solved.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS