Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Arrrggghhh Both CO2 Tanks Out-of-Date  (Read 3399 times)

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
Arrrggghhh Both CO2 Tanks Out-of-Date
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:32 pm »
When I started brewing I bought a new 5 pound tank and a new 10 pound tank and kegged right from the first batch. When I needed to get them filled the only place I could find was my LHBS. I was hesitant to swap them out for older tanks (knowing I had 2 newly stamped tanks) but figured the convenience was worth it since nobody around me wanted to fill them.

Of course now I have 2 tanks that need filling and are both past the inspection date, and my LHBS stopped swapping tanks. Plus I'm stuck with 2 tanks that are pieces of crap compared to the shiny new tanks I traded for them.

Might was well stamp "sucker" on my forehead.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:36:59 pm by johnnyb »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Arrrggghhh Both CO2 Tanks Out-of-Date
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:43:30 pm »
I don't understand the appeal of "shiny new" tanks. The airgas that I swap at gives always gives me a tank with same or newer stamp.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:47:38 pm »
I don't understand the appeal of "shiny new" tanks. The airgas that I swap at gives always gives me a tank with same or newer stamp.

That's nice that they check your stamp and do that.

If I had kept my shiny new ones, both of them would still be good for about another year to 18 months.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:11:42 pm »
Shiny new tanks don't hold more gas.  I was a little bummed when my new tank got swapped out, but whatever.  They swap an aluminum tank for an aluminum tank.  And no one really cares what your gas tank looks like.

On the flip side, I was happy when I swapped a steel 15 lb tank and all they had to give me was aluminum.  I traded up on that one.  But again, whatever.  Next fill, I'll get whatever they have.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:49:20 pm »
Can you get them recertified for another 5 years?  I used to swap my tanks at Maine Oxy in Hooksett, but now I just bring them to Granite State Gas in Derry and get them filled.  Maybe one of these places will recertify the tanks so you can use them for another 5 years.

I haven't yet experienced the expired tank situation so I'm not sure if they do recertifications or not.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:52:28 pm »
When I swap, if the tank is out of date they charge $25 or so for the recert, but you walk out with a different tank.  In all cases, I've had tanks with new stamps.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:54:10 pm »
Usually a recertification is like $20 for me.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:04:29 pm »
I just called Airgas and they said they would swap them out for me no problem. Even after I told them they were expired! I they do that I'll definitely keep my business with them.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:09:01 pm »
Can you get them recertified for another 5 years?  I used to swap my tanks at Maine Oxy in Hooksett, but now I just bring them to Granite State Gas in Derry and get them filled.  Maybe one of these places will recertify the tanks so you can use them for another 5 years.

I haven't yet experienced the expired tank situation so I'm not sure if they do recertifications or not.

Looks like Airgas in Concord is going to hook me up!

Hey since you're kind of local, are you aware of anywhere local (say within 75 miles) that has reasonable prices on bulk base malts?

I used to get all my base malts directly from Valley Malt, but after coming back from a brewing layoff I'm disappointed to find out they won't sell to me direct anymore. Everywhere seems to by $65 and up per sack when I see people in other parts of the country getting sacks for $35 to $45.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »

Looks like Airgas in Concord is going to hook me up!

Hey since you're kind of local, are you aware of anywhere local (say within 75 miles) that has reasonable prices on bulk base malts?

I used to get all my base malts directly from Valley Malt, but after coming back from a brewing layoff I'm disappointed to find out they won't sell to me direct anymore. Everywhere seems to by $65 and up per sack when I see people in other parts of the country getting sacks for $35 to $45.

Brew Free or Die does a group buy.  A member of my club joined, paid his dues (which I split with him) and bought a bunch of sacks.  Once the grains arrive, you just need to pick them up at White Birch.  I think the price was something like $35 for 2-row and and 40-something for Maris Otter.  I think they may have another one coming up in September. 

The Concord Homebrew club may do the same thing...I'm not sure. 

Other than that, I'll get my grains from A&G in Portsmouth, but not at any kind of discount. $55 for Canadian 2-row and $65 for pils.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 02:47:33 pm »
Thank you. I will look into that group.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:02 pm »
I just called Airgas and they said they would swap them out for me no problem. Even after I told them they were expired! I they do that I'll definitely keep my business with them.

They did the same thing for me when my shiny, new tank was out of cert.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC