Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Pilsner Recipe/Procedure Advice  (Read 8944 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: German Pilsner Recipe/Procedure Advice
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 09:21:56 am »
A huge thank you!  This is great information.  So I wonder if a step mash or decoction is worth it.  Given the high modification of the malts, maybe a single infusion?  I have a 2.2 liter starter crashing right now.  Should do the trick. 

Thanks for the info on the D rest.  Very helpful. 

For water, I am using Brun Water and utilize "yellow bitter" and it has me adding about 2.5 g of citric or lactic which is new for me.  It typically doesn't have me add any acidity.  It does have me adding a total 4 g gypsum.  Giving me a estimated mash pH of 5.7. 

Thanks again!

Hermen

I have tested step mash and decoction vs. single infusion multiple times and my conclusion is that they don't add anything to the beer.  Try the "boiled Jever" profile in Bru'nwater.  I've used it for my last several German pils and been really happy with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 09:22:10 am »

[/quote]
All this talk about GP has me thirsty! Is it time to home yet and enjoy one on the deck? :)
[/quote]

Seriously! 

Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 09:23:27 am »
I forgot to mention mash pH previously.  The easiest way to fix that is to add a few ounces of acidulated malt.  Use 1% per 0.1 points of pH you need to lose.  So to go from a mash pH of 5.7 to 5.3 in a 5-gallon batch, you need to use about 0.4-0.5 lb.  This is very common with light colored beers that have little if any specialty Malts to bring the pH down.  Problem solved, and without having to buy or measure any acid additions.

No, the easiest way is to use lactic or phosphoric acid.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 09:41:18 am »
I am going to go the latic acid route as I already have some.  I am going to be adding 3ml of latic, 3g gypsum and 3g Calc. Chloride all to the mash water.  This will get me down to 5.44.

Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

rabeb25

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 09:44:37 am »
I am going to go the latic acid route as I already have some.  I am going to be adding 3ml of latic, 3g gypsum and 3g Calc. Chloride all to the mash water.  This will get me down to 5.44.
Go lower.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 10:00:07 am »
Go lower.

+1.  5.2-5.3 pH makes a nicer pale lager IMO.
Jon H.

rabeb25

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 10:10:52 am »
Well personally I target 5.5 for mash, and 5.2 for boil, but thats another story. 8)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 10:15:01 am »
Well personally I target 5.5 for mash, and 5.2 for boil, but thats another story. 8)

Can I ask why?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 11:08:36 am »
Okay.  So I bumped up lactic acid up to 5ml which gets me to 5.27.  Is that too much lactic?  I am also only adding this to my mash water,  which I assume is the correct way to do this since I batch sparge and start run off almost immediately. 

Should I split with some acidulated malt and latic acid? 

Thanks again!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 11:35:06 am »
Okay.  So I bumped up lactic acid up to 5ml which gets me to 5.27.  Is that too much lactic?  I am also only adding this to my mash water,  which I assume is the correct way to do this since I batch sparge and start run off almost immediately. 

Thanks again!

I wouldn't use both. From what I understand, acidulated malt is just base (pilsner?) malt treated with lactic acid.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 11:40:42 am »

Perfect.  No, you don't need to use both.  Just the acid is perfect.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

rabeb25

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 11:42:16 am »
Here is a slide a Braukaiser presentation some years back. I follow a regimen like this.

(Disclaimer, this is what works for me, may not work for you.. YMMV)

I consider myself to have a pretty traditional German brewhouse, and have been brewing primarily German lagers since 2001(about 95% of my beers are German). After reading countless German brewing textbooks, and experimenting I set off..

Firstly, if its German(or even some of my american styles) its getting a Hockurtz step mash. Times and temps vary upon style, but I can promise you its done 100% of the time. I found that when using this step mash a higher pH helped get better extraction, clearer run off(brilliantly clear), and better taste(subjectable) due to no husk or off tasting proteins making their way int o the kettle.

Then adjusting in the kettle to 5.1-5.2 I get better break formation, and again clearer wort, and a softer hop bitterness. Not to say you couldn't get this all from targeting a 5.2 mash ph(but then the mash suffers). I do this to get the best of both worlds. Also this makes sure your cast out wort is in the proper range, to ensure quicker fermentations, and proper finished pH for storage and spoilage.

I find these techniques (along with some other proprietary things :) ) yield me, what I consider (subjective again) some world class examples of the style. It yields brilliantly clear beer(with no gelatin, or extended aging), and a great crisp finish, with head and foam stability for days.

I will attach some photos for my validity, but as always YMMV, and this is only what I practice/believe and am in no way shape or form trying to convert you to my methods.

Oktoberfest- proboil

Pils- preboil

Munich Dunkel-preboil

Hot break/Boil
No gunk laden Foop here:

Hot break:

Cold break- wort out to fermenter

Finished beer pics:

Munich Dunkel:

Dusseldorf Altbier:

Krystallwiezen:

Foam and Lacing

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 12:03:16 pm »
Interesting information.  Thanks for sharing.  Those pictures make me extremely thirsty!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 02:31:12 pm »
Here is a slide a Braukaiser presentation some years back. I follow a regimen like this.

(Disclaimer, this is what works for me, may not work for you.. YMMV)

I consider myself to have a pretty traditional German brewhouse, and have been brewing primarily German lagers since 2001(about 95% of my beers are German). After reading countless German brewing textbooks, and experimenting I set off..

Firstly, if its German(or even some of my american styles) its getting a Hockurtz step mash. Times and temps vary upon style, but I can promise you its done 100% of the time. I found that when using this step mash a higher pH helped get better extraction, clearer run off(brilliantly clear), and better taste(subjectable) due to no husk or off tasting proteins making their way int o the kettle.

Then adjusting in the kettle to 5.1-5.2 I get better break formation, and again clearer wort, and a softer hop bitterness. Not to say you couldn't get this all from targeting a 5.2 mash ph(but then the mash suffers). I do this to get the best of both worlds. Also this makes sure your cast out wort is in the proper range, to ensure quicker fermentations, and proper finished pH for storage and spoilage.

I find these techniques (along with some other proprietary things :) ) yield me, what I consider (subjective again) some world class examples of the style. It yields brilliantly clear beer(with no gelatin, or extended aging), and a great crisp finish, with head and foam stability for days.

I will attach some photos for my validity, but as always YMMV, and this is only what I practice/believe and am in no way shape or form trying to convert you to my methods.

Oktoberfest- proboil

Pils- preboil

Munich Dunkel-preboil

Hot break/Boil
No gunk laden Foop here:

Hot break:

Cold break- wort out to fermenter

Finished beer pics:

Munich Dunkel:

Dusseldorf Altbier:

Krystallwiezen:

Foam and Lacing

Interesting, so when your talking about a higher mash PH what numbers do you shoot for?

rabeb25

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2015, 03:09:01 pm »
5.55 Mash, 5.2 Boil