Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Chilling  (Read 2310 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Wort Chilling
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 08:39:32 am »
To Pete B. 

Thanks for the info.  I have used bottled water that was frozen with the outside dunked in sanitizer before immersion into the cooling wort.  Same principle as bottle wand, but not as much surface area.
I wouldn't use that soft plastic in hot wort though.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 07:09:52 pm »
Regarding cooling the wort. Living in S. Florida, my tap water runs at about 82 (f). An immersion chiller would take a very long time and not get down to pitching temp. This would be costly water wise as well.
I've used chilled spring water as well as a 10 lb bag of ice.  Regardless, it just takes a great deal of time.  Any ideas on a cost effective way to cool the wort?

one option: pick up recirculation pump and you can use cooler with ice and water to run through your wort chiller.

this is one i picked up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X05G1A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I use my garden hose to bring the wort under 100 then unhook it and hook up my pond pump in a cooler full of ice water. If you try to chill from the cooler from the beginning the hot water will immediately melt the ice.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 07:41:48 pm »
You could always do a concentrated brew then dilute method. Cool the 3 gallons down to 100 then have 2 gallons of near ice cold water and pour it in. That will get you to 74 or so.  Draw backs are You will have to learn the concentrated brewing method  and some say its not ideal but can still make good beer this way.

Offline robertj235

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 03:16:26 pm »
Much appreciated everyone.  Some great advice as well as some things to try that I've not thought of. 
I'll raise my next glass of Pale Ale to all.

"Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew"