Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best way to reduce Ph  (Read 2173 times)

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Best way to reduce Ph
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:34:47 pm »
I've read about several ways to reduce Ph in the mash. What's the best way? How do you reduce Ph? Lactic Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Acidulated malt, salts, other?

I've used Calcium Chloride with varying degrees of success and thinking about trying phosphoric acid.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:37:04 pm by BrewBama »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Best way to reduce Ph
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 08:38:57 pm »
I like lactic acid. Phosphoric works fine , too. I would place acid malt a distant third. Different maltsters and variation from batch to batch makes acid malt a lot more unreliable IMO.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:47:31 pm »
I tend to use lactic acid for German styles and phosphoric acid for American styles.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 09:40:18 pm »
I tend to use lactic acid for German styles and phosphoric acid for American styles.
Thats my take, since Germans supposedly use acidulated malt for ph adjustment,  which I think is acidulated with lactic. So that approach makes sense.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 05:50:24 am »
Thats my take, since Germans supposedly use acidulated malt for ph adjustment,  which I think is acidulated with lactic. So that approach makes sense.
They can add lactic acid if it is from natural sources, there are bio reactors in some that make Sauergut for water adjustment. The acidulated malt is sprayed with Sauergut.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 06:04:13 am »
They can add lactic acid if it is from natural sources, there are bio reactors in some that make Sauergut for water adjustment. The acidulated malt is sprayed with Sauergut.
See, I learn something new everyday.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 06:07:58 am »
Thanks folks

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 09:44:22 am »
Is this a newer technique? Do/did Koln brewers add saurmalt to their Kolsch? According to Bruin water's adjustment summary, their water is way alkaline and needs the pH lowered. Unless i am interpreting wrong.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Derek

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:09:14 am »
I've used Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Acid Malt in all my test mashes and gotten consistent pH no matter what the grain bill was.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:34:17 am »
Is this a newer technique? Do/did Koln brewers add saurmalt to their Kolsch? According to Bruin water's adjustment summary, their water is way alkaline and needs the pH lowered. Unless i am interpreting wrong.
Posted in another thread, but if no one on this one saw it.

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/SteveHolle_GermanBrewing.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 06:58:16 am »
For me it depends on the beer I'm making.
For hop forward pale ales (95% of what I make) I use sulphuric acid (33%)....the sulphate liberated is useful.
For darker beers I tend to use hydrochloric acid.
I have brewed a few batches using phosphoric acid (then used gypsum to increase sulphate) and found the flavour of the finished beer a little dull.
Yorkshire, England

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »
I've used Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Acid Malt in all my test mashes and gotten consistent pH no matter what the grain bill was.

My approach as well - works well so far, pH ends up pretty close to the Brun Water estimate.

Derek

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:06 am »

My approach as well - works well so far, pH ends up pretty close to the Brun Water estimate.

I also cut my tap water with distilled in varying percentages depending on what I want. My water profile is such that I can reduce undesirable quantities with the distilled water and add desirable ones such as calcium, chloride and sulfate with the salts.

It's KISS at its best and has worked so far. The acid malt is readily available to me at my LHBS and in the small quantities I use has proved effective in reducing pH and irrelevant from a flavor standpoint.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 12:08:29 pm »
Posted in another thread, but if no one on this one saw it.

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/SteveHolle_GermanBrewing.pdf

Good to see Steve referenced. :) He's a great resource to the KC area. We had him be part of a "lager panel" at one of our meetings last year. I wish I would have recorded it.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article