Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast question for a sour  (Read 1456 times)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
Yeast question for a sour
« on: July 19, 2015, 11:04:08 am »
My brew days are becoming harder to come by due to family and work.  I am considering taking my second runnings and doing a kettle sour in a separate kettle to maximize my kegerator completeness.  There is loads of info about lacto (thank you everyone), but I don't see many yeast recommendations.  My question is with the potential low OG, should I use a low attenuation yeast strain (Windsor) or something else (WY1450 or ?) or does it matter at all with the low(er) ph?  I am not really focused on any specific style, but like the sourness between a Gose and BW based on the commercial examples I have tried.  The grain bill is planned to be 95% pale and 5% crystal for a big double IPA with my first runnings.
Thanks in advance. 
-Tony
-Tony

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Yeast question for a sour
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 01:15:37 pm »
I think what your real question is, is to find out which yeast strain can work best at low pH measurements.  I have  had great results using WY 1007 German Ale and US-05 to combat fermentations that have already involved a souring component (either lacto or kettle souring through sour mash).  I would also bet that WY 3711 French saison would work too, but have not tried that one yet (it seems to devour anything in its path regardless of obstacles). 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:09:07 pm »
Some evidence suggests saccharomyces is generally effective in the 3-4 ph range so strain selection may not be terribly important for acid tolerance. I can tell you personally that I have fermented beers in this range with both 05 and 3711.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 04:35:39 am »
U.S.-05 worked in a 2.9pH wort that I kettle soured recently. A really fierce Berliner Weisse.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"