Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much should i worry - No water in air lock  (Read 4048 times)

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
How much should i worry - No water in air lock
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:57:40 pm »
Strong Belgian Ale in secondary.  1.086 OG and 1.022 when moved to the secondary.  Had planned FG of 1.019.   Pretty sure we had water in the airlock of the secondary fermenter but 4 days later had none when we checked on it.  Could it have blown out?  Room temp was about 75f  for secondary.  Was very active in primary.  Had been in primary 3 weeks.  After putting water in the airlock again still had pressure in the secondary the next day like it was still active.  2 weeks later still pressure in there but not enough to bubble the airlock.   

Wondering if that time with possible exposure to the air is going to mean disaster?  Any thoughts? thanks..g

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: How much should i worry - No water in air lock
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:18:34 pm »
How much you worry is up to you, but it won't do you any good at this point, so try to relax.  Personally I'd be way more worried about the 75° temps, depending on what yeast you used. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:31:46 pm »
2 packs of the Lallemond(?) dry abbaye.  Kind of new at this but had a lot of luck with belgians in the mid 70's temp so far.  Fingers crossed.  thanks

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:06:46 am »
If it was actively producing CO2 you have nothing to worry about.  Infection bugs and oxygen don't swim up stream so the CO2 being released show keep it out.  I would only be a little concerned if your temp dropped a good amount and caused pressure to decrease in the carboy.  Even then I would sweat it too much.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 06:48:25 am »
You have nothing to worry about as long as there weren't fruit flies flying around the airlock. If that's the case then you have something to worry about.

Even if it was done fermenting completely it will off gas co2 for a few days which should minimize o2 effects. Even fruit flies can't fly through a pure co2 atmosphere sounless the head space was void of adequate co2 you are probably fine regardless.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:49:56 am by majorvices »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 08:47:34 am »
If your beer already had unwelcomed guests that enjoy oxygen then it might be a problem but it's doubtful four days ruined the beer. If there were fruit flies getting into the beer then they might have brought unwelcomed guests but again, four days is probably not enough to ruin the beer. Otherwise, bacteria can't float up to get around into the airlock without some help.

It's doubtful the airlock ran dry in four days. I bet you just forgot to fill it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 09:51:32 am »
No bugs.  One of the benefits of living in Colorado.  Always possible we forgot.  I blame my co-brewer but don't tell her that!  Thanks

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 10:00:45 am »
I have had 3-piece airlocks with small cracks where the post connects to the body. The result was an empty airlock by morning. Might be worth a look. 

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 03:35:39 pm »
It actually held water for over 2 weeks after filling so thinking it is not the lock.  Leaning toward somehow forgot to fill it in the first place.  Bottled today and it tastes really good.  see how it is in a month or so if i can wait that long.