Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Belgium Long Table  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New Belgium Long Table
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:02:00 am »
This years fall seasonal (in July?) comes to us in the form of a Farmhouse Ale as an "ode" to the saison style. It was pretty disappointing in my opinion and didn't really resemble a saison to me at all. By their own admission, it is on the 'sweeter side' however I thought it was inappropriately sweet. It has been years, but it drinks a lot like how I remember their Trippel and the taste comes off a lot stronger than 6.2% ABV. The yeast character seems overly fruity with lack of spice but that may have to do with Nelson Sauvin hops that are used. If it finished dry it might be more enjoyable but the fruit combined with a heavier mouthfeel and sweetness than you would expect is just too much. I am not that familiar with the style but I get the impression of something more like belgian pale ale in this beer.

All in all it is not a bad beer but when reviewing it as a saison I feel it misses pretty badly. Maybe I have the wrong impressions of what a saison should be... New Belgium continues to be hit and miss for me although I continue to try their new releases. It seems that it is kind of a love/hate thing with a lot of people in general. I thought their summer seasonal; Skinny Dip was good although it was different than the original and I really enjoyed their summer revival; Somersault.   
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: New Belgium Long Table
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:07:16 am »
I had Long Table last night and I thought it tasted like a blond ale.  Very clovey.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:07:55 am »
If it finished dry it might be more enjoyable

Yeah, not sure if a 'sweeter' saison is really a saison at all. NB is hit or miss for me, too. Mostly miss.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:13:24 am »
If it finished dry it might be more enjoyable

Yeah, not sure if a 'sweeter' saison is really a saison at all. NB is hit or miss for me, too. Mostly miss.

I think that most of their original regulars are pretty solid. 1554 is just an amazing beer in my opinion.

Their newer regulars are hit and miss for me and their ever changing seasonals are usually a miss for me. They were my introduction to craft beer in the late 90s so I have a soft spot for them...kind of weird....haha

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:16:15 am »
I had Long Table last night and I thought it tasted like a blond ale.  Very clovey.

I bought a six pack and only had one last night. I am curious to see if it grows on me more at all. I didn't really focus in on it so this is just kind of my impressions. I am not the best with Belgian styles so I could see it being more like a blond than maybe a BPA like I thought.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:20:18 am »
[ They were my introduction to craft beer in the late 90s so I have a soft spot for them...kind of weird....haha

Not weird at all. We all have breweries that we have a soft spot for that might not be at the very top of what's out there now. I have a soft spot for Sam Adams and what they did back when I was learning what better beer was, but they're not exactly Russian River or Firestone either. NB does have a couple beers I like, though.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 08:12:22 pm »
I have consumed a couple more bottles and it indeed has grown on me however I can't think of it as a saison because it is not and should not even mention that in the description.  If you get the idea of it being a saison out of your head it is not bad. Somewhere between a blond and a bpa in my opinion.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 10:08:10 pm »
It's Leffe with a little more body and clove. 
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 10:53:32 pm »
It's Leffe with a little more body and clove.

I don't get much clove but I guess that's just my palate