Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Washing The Wares | How I Clean My Brewing Gear  (Read 1067 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Washing The Wares | How I Clean My Brewing Gear
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:01:43 am »
As much as I appreciate cleanliness, I hate cleaning with a passion. It sucks. Unfortunately, it’s one of the more important aspects of brewing– dirty gear makes dirty beer. Over the years, I’ve settled on a few methods I’ve found make the arduous task of clean-up a bit less annoying. Here they are!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/11/19/washing-the-wares-how-i-clean-my-brewing-gear/

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
Re: Washing The Wares | How I Clean My Brewing Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 07:25:14 am »
I must be super anal. Nice work up! In my experience, I'll spend more time cleaning than brewing. I think one of the most important lessons I learned over time is to clean ASAP. Don't let things sit and make it part of your process. Like cleaning out the mash tun while waiting to boil. Saving it all to the end makes you skip stuff at the end of the brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 11:58:33 am »
That's basically my process too.

• Clean the mash tun as soon as the kettle is on the burner
  • Wash and dry any equipment used for the Mash/Sparge by the time the boil is done.
  • Also sanitize any buckets, carboys, tubing, et.al. during this time too.
  • Start breaking down tables and boxing up stuff while the wort chills.
  • Clean the kettle as soon as the wort is in the fermentor and yeast is pitched.
  • Pull a glass of something on tap while I put the final pieces away and finish up my notes.
Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:07:56 pm »
I use Oxi Free for cost purposes on nearly all my cold side gear.  I never use brushes, but have been using a microfiber car wash cloth for a long time to do the 'swirl' on any 'gunk' it doesn't handle on its own.  I also use a picnic tap to get the Oxi solution up the dip tube.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 05:57:19 am »
Seeing Marshall clean the krauasen off carboys makes me glad I only use buckets for primary fermentation. Being able to actually get my hands in there and scrub makes it so much easier and faster because I don't need to rely on the cleaner to do 100% of the removal. I never use anything more abrasive than a terry cloth and I have very old buckets that remain unscratched. Also, having the fermentation bucket full of cleaning solution makes it easy to pump the solution through the auto siphon and tubing and the bung and airlock soak in there too.
One thing not mentioned is the bottling bucket and bottling wand. I remove the spigot after every use now and soak the parts in cleaning solution. I recently realized that the hose for my auto siphon fits tightly on the business end of the bottling wand so I can attach it and pump cleaning solution past the valve with quite a bit of pressure removing any bits of hops and other debris. This also creates quite a bit of pressure within the hose and siphon that helps keep that clean.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:58:57 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.