Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Want to brew the "Declassified" Stone pale ale, have questions  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
I am planning a brew day using the recipe from Stone's blog for their retiring pale ale.
My questions are about their process. I mash in a cooler and batch sparge.

1. They list their sacc. rest at 156F for 20 minutes, I usually go 60. is there a reason for a short mash? Higher temp makes conversion go faster maybe?

2. Is it necessary for me to do a mash out or are they recommending it because they are fly sparging? I batch sparge and typically do not mash out.

Just curious if there is some "secret" to the recipe or if these parameters are just equipment specific.

Here's a link to Stone's recipe info... Thanks for any suggestions

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/stone-pale-ale-recipe/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:25:16 pm by Brewtweak »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Want to brew the "Declassified" Stone pale ale, have questions
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 12:32:39 pm »
I am planning a brew day using the recipe from Stone's blog for their retiring pale ale.
My questions are about their process. I mash in a cooler and batch sparge.

1. They list their sacc. rest at 156F for 20 minutes, I usually go 60. is there a reason for a short mash? Higher temp makes conversion go faster maybe?

2. Is it necessary for me to do a mash out or are they recommending it because they are fly sparging? I batch sparge and typically do not mash out.

Just curious if there is some "secret" to the recipe or if these parameters are just equipment specific.

Here's a link to Stone's recipe info... Thanks for any suggestions

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/stone-pale-ale-recipe/

1.  When a commercial brewery lists a short mash rest, what you don't see is that it takes them hours to mash in, sparge, and lauter and all of that time is at mash temp.  Do what you know works for your system.  A 60 min, rest will be great.

2.  No need for a mashout, but you can do what I do...heat your sparge water to 185-190F.  That raises temps pretty much into the mashout range while you sparge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:34:59 pm »
Excellent, thanks for the info.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Yeah, Denny nailed it. I've been meaning to play with short mash rests, especially on small beers. Maybe when I finally get some small kegs.

Offline tommymorris

Yeah, Denny nailed it. I've been meaning to play with short mash rests, especially on small beers. Maybe when I finally get some small kegs.
It just feels wrong to fill a 5G keg with less than 5G.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:43:48 am »

It really does, but I do it anyway.

I didn't realize Stone was retiring their Pale Ale. Thought it was just the Levitation and the Sublimely they were discontinuing. So basically, they're going to be nothing but an IPA brewery now.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:49:13 am »
I didn't realize Stone was retiring their Pale Ale. Thought it was just the Levitation and the Sublimely they were discontinuing. So basically, they're going to be nothing but an IPA brewery now.

They retired the original Ruination and put out a new Ruination 2.0, too. Haven't tried it yet. I miss their Levitation and SSR, too.
Jon H.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:13 am »

It really does, but I do it anyway.

There is a new Stone pale ale.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing