Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about compensating for evaporation using Bru'n water.  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
I don't know if this is a stupid question... but,
I do all grain, full volume boil, 2.5 gallon batches.
I use Martin's Bru'n water to build from RO.
I know it's set up so that the mash water additions are separate from the sparge water additions.
I do my Mash additions to match the style and profile I'm looking for, as well as correct mash PH.

Here's where I get messed up. I typically sparge with RO and I add my flavor mineral additions to the kettle.
Should I be subtracting my expected boil-off amount from the sparge water amount for fear of concentrating my kettle mineral addition by figuring it for the larger volume of sparge water?
I hope I'm making sense. :)
Thanks for any help.

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Question about compensating for evaporation using Bru'n water.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:26:52 pm »
I do this. I never did with larger batches, but after a very mineral flavored 1 gallon batch I started doing it for all batches.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:24:37 am »
For some brewers, I've heard that they couldn't reduce their boil-off rate due to their system design. They were well above the 10 to 20 percent boil-off range. Those brewers do have to worry about excessive concentration of wort and mineral content.

For most other brewers, it is not necessary to compensate for that water loss. Just calibrate your brewing water mineral levels with your beer taste expectations and go from there. If the beer tastes too minerally to you, then back off the mineral level you target for your total brewing water volume.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 10:23:31 am »
Yeah, I get about a 43% evaporation on 1 gallon batches. 1.75-1 over 90 min.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:51 am »

Don't measure boiloff in %.  You will not get twice as much in a 10 gal. batch as you do in a 5.  Measure boiloff in gal./hr.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:16:16 am »

Don't measure boiloff in %.  You will not get twice as much in a 10 gal. batch as you do in a 5.  Measure boiloff in gal./hr.
For most calculations that makes the most sense, but when you're talking about concentrating mineral additions percentage is a good way to look at it. If your boiloff on a small batch is 25% greater than on your usual batch size, than any preboil flavor additions (such as minerals added to the mash) will likely need to be reduced by the same factor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:29:01 am »

I don't normally as I use the same kettle for all 5+ gallon batches. I was just noting what I get for 1 gallon using a 3 gallon canning pot. With that pot it is about .5 per hour, my big kettle is 1.5 per hour.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 11:29:23 am »
I've been having issues with a mineralized flavor in my IPAs which is what got me thinking about it. I do suffer about a 25% evaporation loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 02:01:18 pm »

I monitor boil-off the way Denny recommends, but that has to be taken in respect to the batch size. Most homebrewing batches are probably in the 5 to 10 gal range and the typical 1 gal/hr rate applies. However, Steve's case points out that maybe we do need to also check the boil-off with respect to the total volume...that means use the % calculation also. My typical 1 gal/hr boil-off from a 6 gal starting volume suggests something in the 16 to 20 % boil-off in an hour. Someone making a smaller batch in a similar kettle might get a similar gal/hr loss, but that loss could equate to a pretty big percentage in comparison to the starting batch volume. I never thought about this before, but I think we should.

The rule of thumb can get you a broken thumb! 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 02:35:50 pm »
Martin, like I said earlier, I never thought about it until I had a nasty 1 gallon batch. Maybe I won't pay as much attention to my 5+ gallon batches.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:55:58 pm »
I don't normally account for boil off on my mineral additions, as I lose ~ 1.1-1.2 gal/hr/5.5 gallons and like the results. But I've been considering doing smaller batches lately for certain beers and hadn't thought of the effect on mineral concentration in that case. Something to think about now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:57:33 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 09:39:03 pm »

I monitor boil-off the way Denny recommends, but that has to be taken in respect to the batch size. Most homebrewing batches are probably in the 5 to 10 gal range and the typical 1 gal/hr rate applies. However, Steve's case points out that maybe we do need to also check the boil-off with respect to the total volume...that means use the % calculation also. My typical 1 gal/hr boil-off from a 6 gal starting volume suggests something in the 16 to 20 % boil-off in an hour. Someone making a smaller batch in a similar kettle might get a similar gal/hr loss, but that loss could equate to a pretty big percentage in comparison to the starting batch volume. I never thought about this before, but I think we should.

The rule of thumb can get you a broken thumb!
That's the boat I'm in, I do 2.5 gallon batches, when all is said and done, for a 90 min boil I have a preboil of 4 gallons, post boil is just under 3 gallons and I get slightly over 2.5 in the fermenter.
Corripe Cervisiam