Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: In search of Kolsch yeast that produces an air and salty flavor  (Read 3277 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
I visited Pensacola Bay Brewery in Florida last week (spectacular beer by the way) and thought their Kolsch was very unique from others I have tried. It had a very distinctive air and salty flavor - a California Common came to mind. Was this light sulfer?

They said it was a Munich yeast.

Any idea of what they may have used?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:56:22 am by curtism1234 »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: In search of Kolsch yeast that produces an air and salty flavor
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:55:50 am »
I visited Pensacola Bay Brewery in Florida last week (spectacular beer by the way) and thought their Kolsch was very unique from others I have tried. It had a very distinctive air and salty flavor - a California Common came to mind. They said it was a Munich yeast.

Thanks
Air?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:57:46 am »
I visited Pensacola Bay Brewery in Florida last week (spectacular beer by the way) and thought their Kolsch was very unique from others I have tried. It had a very distinctive air and salty flavor - a California Common came to mind. They said it was a Munich yeast.

Thanks
Air?

Stale quality like you're drinking an Anchor Steam. Don't know how else to describe it...  :P

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:13:55 am »
Unfortunately I'd probably have to taste it myself to help you out.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:31:04 am »

Thanks
Air?

Stale quality like you're drinking an Anchor Steam. Don't know how else to describe it...  :P

stale as in oxidized?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:48:07 am »
The salty flavor could from the water they are using.  Do you get salty flavor from Cal Commons?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:04:51 am »
I can't say I get an "air" flavor from anchor steam. I get lots of malt with herbal and woodsy, almost like fresh soil.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 11:09:50 am »

stale as in oxidized?
[/quote]

I would certainly not describe it as a sherry or metalic flavor. It would be closer to a paper flavor but I don't think it was oxidized.

The salty flavor could from the water they are using.  Do you get salty flavor from Cal Commons?

I do not get a salty flavor with Anchor Steam and the couple of homebrews I have tried. Perhaps it is the water, the city is probably pumping it in from the Gulf. I did not taste the local water during my visit.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 01:07:13 pm »

stale as in oxidized?

I would certainly not describe it as a sherry or metalic flavor. It would be closer to a paper flavor but I don't think it was oxidized.

I do not get a salty flavor with Anchor Steam and the couple of homebrews I have tried. Perhaps it is the water, the city is probably pumping it in from the Gulf. I did not taste the local water during my visit.
[/quote]

paper says oxidation. That's a packaging fault. Metallic would not be oxidation. That's ussually a water problem.

Salty says water to me as well. I don't think what you are describing is a yeast character though. Doesn't really sound like something I'd want to replicate either.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 01:18:56 pm »

paper says oxidation. That's a packaging fault. Metallic would not be oxidation. That's ussually a water problem.

Salty says water to me as well. I don't think what you are describing is a yeast character though. Doesn't really sound like something I'd want to replicate either.
[/quote]

+1. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 01:22:26 pm »

+1. 
[/quote]

+2  Sounds pretty flawed.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 01:38:32 pm »

stale as in oxidized?

[/quote]

Actually I get metallic from some oxidized beers.  Still just guessing, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 04:30:50 am »
I wonder if they didn't use WY2124, which is used by many breweries at warmer temps to create more ale like flavors.

"Salty and air" to me says you were hanging at the beach with a wonderful salty sea breeze that has altered and even possibly enhanced your perception.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 04:39:03 am »
Or maybe it was a Gose?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:42:29 am »
Or maybe it was a Gose?

That would explain it completely, they pulled the wrong tap.